cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backup link problem, please help.

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Company C has servers on my network(company B). Users on company A network access these servers via company C the red link.

B has a link to A as I need to access servers on A's 172.16.115.0. I redistribute 172.16.115.0 network in to our EIGRP.

Company C uses my link from B to A (blue) as a backup to reach network 172.16.48.0. I have created static routes with an AD of 200 to network 172.16.48.0 pointing to A. As these have a higher AD than the other static route which point to C these are not entered in to the routing table. The problem I have is I have no idea if the etherflow link from C to A fails so there is no automatic failover for C to use my link to A.I have to use a manual process and remove the routes for network 172.16.48.0 which point to C.

Myself (B) and C use EIGRP AS 100. our networks don't share routing information due to the passive-interface command.

My question is what would be the best way to achieve autmamtic failover should C's link to A fails. I know we could share complete EIGRP information but I don't want to know all of their routes. Someone has suggested using a new EIGRP AS (110) which will work around the existing AS (100) but I'm not sure this will work.

Please could someone advise on a prefered method.

Many Thanks

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Darren, I might be missing the complexity of this set up, but what if you add a static route on 10.75.254.226

ip route 172.16.48.0/24 172.16.140.2 and redistribute this into eigrp 100

also add a 172.16.48.0/24 10.90.254.130 to 10.90.254.254 and redistribute into eigrp.

then make tweak the metrics for that last static route so it becomes less preferred and only active when the primary link fails.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Sorry my diagram wasn't correct I've updated it. The basic problem I have is the three companies are not sharing routing information so how would I know if company C's etherflow connection to A failed. My router would continue forwarding traffic for network 172.16.48.0 via C (10.90.254.254). C then wouldn't have anywhere to send the traffic. Currently I have to remove my static routes on company B switch so the backup route kicks in on the router. I need to find a solution so this will happpen automatically. The easy solution would be to use EIGRP AS 100 across all 3 companies and share all of each others routes. This isn't something I would like to do as I don't want A & C having routes to all my subnets. Someone sugggested setting up another EIGRP AS just for this purpose but I'm not sure how this would work.

updated diagram

OK.

I understand you don't want full routing distribution between customers. The thing is that is you want automatic fail over when the 172.16.140.2 - 172.16.140.1 link fails to go via the link between 172.16.115.214 & 172.16.115.1, you will need dynamic routing and updates between companies, no way around that; this will propagated an alternative route into company C in case the primary link fails.

By sticking company C in its own EIGRP AS, you have the opportunity of filtering out what updates you want between the companies/AS's (use route maps to do this for instance)

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Could I use 'Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking'

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card