Dial-up remote access through E1

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2009


Can i do Dial-up remote access through E1 and CME.

The Scenario is:

I need to gion my company network through dial-up remote access as we have E1 line from PSTN.

The router is the Voice Gateway(CME).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 06/10/2009 - 12:01

You cannot integrate voice and modem access in the same ISR router using a single PRI interface.

The only solution is to use a two port VWIC, cross-connect on port to an HWIC PRI, and equip the router with PVDM2-DM.

That is quite expensive and complicated so you will find that is often better to dial-up to any ISP, then use a VPN client to access your office network.

mabdelaziz2009 Wed, 06/10/2009 - 22:55

Thanks for this reply but i need more illustration about connection between HWIC and two port VWIC.

And what about the configuration of router.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 06/10/2009 - 23:15

A crossed E1 cable going from one port VWIC port to HWIC port

Then you configure so that calls for the modem number goes out the 2nd VWIC port into the HWIC port.

Check the price of that solution first because chances are you will not like it.

It is much cheaper to use any ISP for dial-up, then VPN to the central office.

mabdelaziz2009 Wed, 06/10/2009 - 23:38

Thanks,it is clear now.

But i want to ask about that can i reserve some E1 number on CME for dial-up only.

If that possible,how can i configure that.

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 06/11/2009 - 00:49

dial-peer voice xx pots

destination-pattern 12345

port x/y/2

Please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below.

mabdelaziz2009 Thu, 06/11/2009 - 04:29

Sorry for asking again in that case but ineed aditional information.

The full secnario is:

I need to connect to my company network remotly through Dial-up by one of my company E1 line.

We have 2851 router (CME) + HWIC + PVDM2-24DM + VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1.

In this case

1- Will i need ISP or i will connect direct through E1 PSTN line.

2- If Direct, what type of Signaling Protocol will be used.

3- will i need AS (Acess server) or what type of authentication that i need.

4- Again shall you describe Cross-connect between HWIC and two port VWIC.

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 06/11/2009 - 09:35

1. ISP with VPN, or direct

2. ISDN Q931, or E1 R2

3. The router that you have is fine, but you need a 2 ports VWIC, and PVDM2-xx for voice.

4. A crossed E1 cable, check using search box.

mabdelaziz2009 Tue, 06/23/2009 - 04:57

I think i've a solution that don't need VWIC 2 port, but only need HWIC(HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI)and PVDM2-24DM.

The attached file contains a configuration example for NAS (Network Access Server).

1- Is these components suitable for that case?

2- Is Router 2851 can work instead of NAS?

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 06/23/2009 - 05:29

The thing is that HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI does not support voice, so no CME with that E1.

Also, do you have ISDN PRI or E1 R2 ?

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 06/23/2009 - 05:48

I know that, and I've indicated this card in my first reply above.


- do you understand that you cannot support voice calls with this card alone ?

- do you understand that it doesn't support E1 R2 in case you have that ?

mabdelaziz2009 Tue, 06/23/2009 - 05:54

Ok i understand that, but i need an example configuration.

And again can i use router 2851 instead of NAS (for authentication, dialed number information service (DNIS),...)?

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 06/23/2009 - 06:03

I gave you the configuration above.

ISR routers do not support full set of ISP features like a true NAS, but enoug to have a normal remote access.

mabdelaziz2009 Tue, 06/23/2009 - 06:12

Ok,can i use VWIC one port only for voice and another HWIC for data (i'll use two E1 line one for voice and the other for data)?


This Discussion