Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial-up remote access through E1

mabdelaziz2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can i do Dial-up remote access through E1 and CME.

The Scenario is:

I need to gion my company network through dial-up remote access as we have E1 line from PSTN.

The router is the Voice Gateway(CME).

18 Replies 18

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot integrate voice and modem access in the same ISR router using a single PRI interface.

The only solution is to use a two port VWIC, cross-connect on port to an HWIC PRI, and equip the router with PVDM2-DM.

That is quite expensive and complicated so you will find that is often better to dial-up to any ISP, then use a VPN client to access your office network.

Thanks for this reply but i need more illustration about connection between HWIC and two port VWIC.

And what about the configuration of router.

A crossed E1 cable going from one port VWIC port to HWIC port

Then you configure so that calls for the modem number goes out the 2nd VWIC port into the HWIC port.

Check the price of that solution first because chances are you will not like it.

It is much cheaper to use any ISP for dial-up, then VPN to the central office.

Thanks,it is clear now.

But i want to ask about that can i reserve some E1 number on CME for dial-up only.

If that possible,how can i configure that.

dial-peer voice xx pots

destination-pattern 12345

port x/y/2

Please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below.

Sorry for asking again in that case but ineed aditional information.

The full secnario is:

I need to connect to my company network remotly through Dial-up by one of my company E1 line.

We have 2851 router (CME) + HWIC + PVDM2-24DM + VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1.

In this case

1- Will i need ISP or i will connect direct through E1 PSTN line.

2- If Direct, what type of Signaling Protocol will be used.

3- will i need AS (Acess server) or what type of authentication that i need.

4- Again shall you describe Cross-connect between HWIC and two port VWIC.

1. ISP with VPN, or direct

2. ISDN Q931, or E1 R2

3. The router that you have is fine, but you need a 2 ports VWIC, and PVDM2-xx for voice.

4. A crossed E1 cable, check using search box.

I think i've a solution that don't need VWIC 2 port, but only need HWIC(HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI)and PVDM2-24DM.

The attached file contains a configuration example for NAS (Network Access Server).

1- Is these components suitable for that case?

2- Is Router 2851 can work instead of NAS?

The thing is that HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI does not support voice, so no CME with that E1.

Also, do you have ISDN PRI or E1 R2 ?

The thing is that HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI is a channelized.

It's data sheet on this link https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c88_ps5949_Products_Data_Sheet.html

* What about the scenario that i send it to you.

I know that, and I've indicated this card in my first reply above.

Again:

- do you understand that you cannot support voice calls with this card alone ?

- do you understand that it doesn't support E1 R2 in case you have that ?

Ok i understand that, but i need an example configuration.

And again can i use router 2851 instead of NAS (for authentication, dialed number information service (DNIS),...)?

I gave you the configuration above.

ISR routers do not support full set of ISP features like a true NAS, but enoug to have a normal remote access.

Ok,can i use VWIC one port only for voice and another HWIC for data (i'll use two E1 line one for voice and the other for data)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: