cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Announcement No AS

cozyk1515
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer and I need to announce for them. They are not Mulithomed so they don't have an AS. Am I over thinking this minor issue?

Here is what I was thinking

router bgp xxxx

*add the subnet here making then apart of my network list

network 1xx.1xx.1xx.0 mask 255.255.255.0

ip route 1xx.1xx.1xx.0 255.255.255.0 Gig0/3

Is there something I am missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Gabrielle,

the config part is fine.

the network command will work well because in BGP it looks for the prefix in the IP routing table, instead of processing the IP interfaces of the node as it happens with IGPs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gabrielle,

the customer public prefix should be registered with your public ASN to pass consistency checks that someone can perform on the internet.

you can check this on the regional registry (ARIN, RIPE and so on).

www.arin.net

www.ripe.net

if the address block is registered to another ASN belonging to another provider this can cause problems and it should be fixed

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The ASN is the customers they were rejected an AS number because they are not multihomed. When I do a WHOIS it is the customer I will be announcing for.

I was more worried about the config part. I have many customers with AS but this is the first without one.

Hello Gabrielle,

the config part is fine.

the network command will work well because in BGP it looks for the prefix in the IP routing table, instead of processing the IP interfaces of the node as it happens with IGPs.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks - I knew I was OVER thinking this issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card