cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU settings on Tunnel interface inaccurate

jimmyc_2
Level 1
Level 1

We put our GRE tunnel interface to "ip mtu 1400". Yet a show interface tunnel says "MTU 1514 bytes, BW 4632..." The interface works fine, but out statistics are way, way off.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James

IP MTU is different from interface MTU and in GRE tunnels either (or both) can be set. So you could do something like this:

interface tunnel 0

interface mtu 1400

to make the interface MTU correspond to what you have set for the IP MTU.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Do either of these commands have a physical impact on fragmentation, or are they just for statistics? As I mentioned, our tunnel interface statistics are 10x the physical interface statistics; how can I determine if the accounting is off or are just fragmenting packets needlessly? regards, jimmyc

James

I would expect that either of these commands would potentially have an impact on fragmentation.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

We found the problem was asymmetric routing. I should have looked at the switch ports as well as the serial ports. I made an assumption that I shouldn't have. Thanks for your help, as always.

Jimmyc

Jimmyc

I am glad that you got it worked out. Thank you for posting back to the forum indicating that you had resolved the problem and what the problem was. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can get confirmation about what the problem turned out to be.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: