cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS over Port-Channel

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Is it recommended? increasing the MTU on the port-channel will work? Pls provide cico documentation if poss..

cheers

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Francisco,

if you mean a L3 port channel supporting IPv4 and MPLS I personally prefer to use parallel indipendent L3 links.

The load balancing on L3 links should be based on the more internal MPLS label.

Increasing the mtu, mpls mtu of port-channel interface (and may be of member links) is needed.

If you mean increasing the MTU on a L2 port-channel connecting two switches this is needed too to support MPLS VPN traffic.

In this case of L2 port-channel load balancing could be based on the external label that points to remote PE (these are generally less variable then inner labels)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Francisco,

Not sure what you mean about 'is it recommended' - perhaps, you meant 'is it supported?'

Yes, it is supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7300/maintain_and_operate_guides/7304_maintain_and_operate_guides/7304eth.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks guys for your comments. To clarify my question sorry what i meant was is it supported to have LDP enable on L3 port-channel and the increase of MTU for the labels on the port-channel.I have a couple of 6509's as distribution and core switches with L3 port-channels between the switches. i would like to enable mpls on the L3 port-channel and increase the MTU for the labels.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card