cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS RF Calibration Model

joseph.kukis
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering if anyone has used the RF calibration model feature of the WCS where you take a laptop to a site and click on data points on a map.

I'm trying to figure out if this is only used as a calibration if you are doing location tracking, or does the WCS use this in some other way. If it only uses it for location tracking, then would I would be better off using our Airmagnet Survey Pro laptop to get a general site survey?

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joseph,

I think that AirMagnet or another Site Survey program will be better suited for your task. Here is the Overview of the RF Calibration Model functionality;

Creating an RF Calibration Model

If you would like to further refine WCS Location tracking of client and rogue access points across one or more floors of a building, you have the option of creating an RF calibration model that uses physically collected RF measurements to fine-tune the location algorithm. When you have multiple floors in a building with the same physical layout as the calibrated floor, you can save time calibrating the remaining floors by using the same RF calibration model for the remaining floors.

The calibration models are used as RF overlays with measured RF signal characteristics that can be applied to different floor areas. This allows the Cisco Unified Wireless Network Solution installation team to lay out one floor in a multi-floor area, use the RF calibration tool to measure and save the RF characteristics of that floor as a new calibration model, and apply that calibration model to all the other floors with the same physical layout.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/5.1/configuration/guide/wcstasks.html#wp1075811

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card