Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 - Syslog File Size

v_saru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need some help with the following and thanks in advance.

The size of the current LMS syslog file is over 6GB. I have run the logrot.pl utility to set the size as below:

Number Logfile Name Number of Archives Max Size Compress

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. "D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log" 10 2048 gz

a. Add logfile(s)

d. Delete logfile(s)

q. Go back

Enter option or logfile number to edit:

The verbose shows. Where is the 2097152 is configured?

c:\>d:\progra~1\cscopx\bin\perl d:\progra~1\cscopx\bin\logrot.pl -v

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Logfile = D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log, Backup File = D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Attempting to use d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_stat.exe to obtain logfile size.

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Not archiving D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log because it is not big enough.

file size = 1, conf size = 2097152

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known bug. The logrot_stat.exe binary is using the wrong Windows API to get the file size. A fixed version is available from TAC. Alternatively, you can just run logrot_trunc.exe on syslog.log if you need the file truncated.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known bug. The logrot_stat.exe binary is using the wrong Windows API to get the file size. A fixed version is available from TAC. Alternatively, you can just run logrot_trunc.exe on syslog.log if you need the file truncated.

Thanks JC! - always so efficiently helpful with your responses.

I used the utility and it truncated the syslog.log file to "0" bytes and I see it started growing now.

So, if I understand it correct, it will now rotate the syslog.log at 2048KB and keep 10 files in archive at a time. What is the default location of these zip files?

Correct, the rotation will occur when the file reaches 2 MB. If you did not specify a specific archive directory, then the archives will be in the same directory as syslog.log.

Thanks again. I see the file has now grown to 3.5 MB since I truncated yesterday. Wonder why it did not archive at 2 MB.

All I see in the CSCOpx\log directory are mostly .log files.

You have to schedule logrot to run. If logrot has not run since the file grew to above 2 MB, then the log file will not be rotated.