Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 2.6 - Syslog File Size

v_saru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need some help with the following and thanks in advance.

The size of the current LMS syslog file is over 6GB. I have run the logrot.pl utility to set the size as below:

Number Logfile Name Number of Archives Max Size Compress

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. "D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log" 10 2048 gz

a. Add logfile(s)

d. Delete logfile(s)

q. Go back

Enter option or logfile number to edit:

The verbose shows. Where is the 2097152 is configured?

c:\>d:\progra~1\cscopx\bin\perl d:\progra~1\cscopx\bin\logrot.pl -v

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Logfile = D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log, Backup File = D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Attempting to use d:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\logrot_stat.exe to obtain logfile size.

Wed Jun 10 13:45:06 2009: INFO: Not archiving D:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log because it is not big enough.

file size = 1, conf size = 2097152

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known bug. The logrot_stat.exe binary is using the wrong Windows API to get the file size. A fixed version is available from TAC. Alternatively, you can just run logrot_trunc.exe on syslog.log if you need the file truncated.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a known bug. The logrot_stat.exe binary is using the wrong Windows API to get the file size. A fixed version is available from TAC. Alternatively, you can just run logrot_trunc.exe on syslog.log if you need the file truncated.

Thanks JC! - always so efficiently helpful with your responses.

I used the utility and it truncated the syslog.log file to "0" bytes and I see it started growing now.

So, if I understand it correct, it will now rotate the syslog.log at 2048KB and keep 10 files in archive at a time. What is the default location of these zip files?

Correct, the rotation will occur when the file reaches 2 MB. If you did not specify a specific archive directory, then the archives will be in the same directory as syslog.log.

Thanks again. I see the file has now grown to 3.5 MB since I truncated yesterday. Wonder why it did not archive at 2 MB.

All I see in the CSCOpx\log directory are mostly .log files.

You have to schedule logrot to run. If logrot has not run since the file grew to above 2 MB, then the log file will not be rotated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: