cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9214e upgrades from 3.1(2a) to 3.3(1c) enables NPV

alorentzen
Level 1
Level 1

When I upgraded two 9124e switches from 3.1(2a) to 3.3(1c) NPV got enabled and the switches cold booted. The other two that I upgraded did not get NPV enabled (nor did they cold boot). The only difference I can see between the switches is the two that have NPV enabled were once running 3.3(1a) and were downgraded to 3.1(2a).

The enabling of NPV caused an outage for all of the blades using these two switches. I need to upgrade two more switches that were once running 3.3(1a) and don't want NPV to get enabled from the upgrade. Is there anyway to make sure that this doesn't happen?

2 Replies 2

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

NPV does not become enabled by itself. A person with network admin rights has to type npv enable in the CLI and accept that the switch will reboot, etc. If the switch you are going to upgrade is not running NPV, it wont mysteriously change to NPV during or after the upgrade.

Actually upgrading your switches is going to cause an outage anyway.

I wouldn't think so, but that's what I saw. I upgraded four switches from Fabric Manager and two of them now have NPV enabled. I watched the system reboot from the console and when it came up on 3.3(1c) it stated that N port virtualization was enabled. It was not enabled before the upgrade as NPV is not a feature of 3.1(2a).

Firmware upgrades of 9124e switches are non disruptive.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: