cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will there be support for the 256MB CompactFlash card on the UC520?

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I have noticed that the newer UC520 releases, such as the 7.0.3 release and the 7.1.1 release use almost all of the flash memory available on the UC520. I have noticed that a lot of the flash memory is used up by phone load files.

Will Cisco be releasing 256MB CompactFlash cards for the UC520, or will Cisco be taking a different approach to this issue?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the posts and the pretty daggers :-)   It is partners like you who keep us on the right track and I thank you for it.

You have all identified a limitation of the UC520 IOS Flash correctly.  While you can steer around it with phone load manager today, it will become more difficult to manage as we introduce more and more space requirements.  I know in a lab system, I face this all the time because I like to run every possible phone model, but is this a usual deployment practice?  Or are you saying it will be soon?

I would also mention the following WRT support:

We have a clear policy, documented here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/prod_warranty09186a00800b5594.html

The discussion that ensues around what we define as ‘supported’ vs. ‘unsupported.’ This has been a point of confusion for many years, and around any product that uses removable components. The policy as stated allows customers to use third party components, but still absolves us of being accountable for those components being compatible with Cisco branded components.

In this case, customers may use third party flash, and we won’t deny wholesale support on the device because it may have, say a sandisk flash card installed, but if the router generates errors reading from or writing to that sandisk flash card, we can’t help with that. Wheras, if it’s a Cisco branded flash card, it would have gone through exhaustive testing, and we’d be on the hook to ensure that the flash works with the Router.

I think we should raise this again with Alberto Montilla (PM for UC500) and see what the latest is on this, in terms of providing a SKU for a flash upgrade to a UC520.

I sent him a private note on this and he reads here as well....

Thanks,

Steve

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi John,

The short term fix currently being evaluated, is to optimize the flash space by better managing the phone loads. We are still discussing the specifics and tentative dates.

Thanks,

Marcos

I have noticed that the phone firmware files for the 8900 and 9900 series phones are much larger than most of the other Cisco IP phone models. In addition, the IOS image size has increased from approximately 25MB in the 4.2.x releases to approximately 38MB in the 8.0.x releases. Will there be a 256MB or 512MB flash memory upgrade available for the UC520 in the future? I do know that the UC540 and UC560 already ship with 256MB of flash memory, but the UC520 does not appear to have enough flash memory to support 8900 and 9900 series phones, especially when two or more of the 8900/9900 series models are used with the UC520.

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

I think i am going to be the cheeky one here

I am currently playing with using a Sandisk 1GB in it, i dont know why i went that large cause 512MB would suffice, unless i was going to put a big ass MOH file on there. But you can look at using a larger CFC if the Cisco one has run out of space.

As allways i recommend you use the Cisco issued ones, but suffice to say you are not limited to it ;)

**Ducks for cover as Marcos Throws his daggers***

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

I'll let you pick the executioner's dagger:

daggers.png

Marcos

STRUTH!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what is more freighting, the fact i have to pick which one i choose, or the fact you gave me such a wide choice to choose from

But if i had to choose one it will be 11 from the left top row.

Be quick and mercifull please :)

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the posts and the pretty daggers :-)   It is partners like you who keep us on the right track and I thank you for it.

You have all identified a limitation of the UC520 IOS Flash correctly.  While you can steer around it with phone load manager today, it will become more difficult to manage as we introduce more and more space requirements.  I know in a lab system, I face this all the time because I like to run every possible phone model, but is this a usual deployment practice?  Or are you saying it will be soon?

I would also mention the following WRT support:

We have a clear policy, documented here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/prod_warranty09186a00800b5594.html

The discussion that ensues around what we define as ‘supported’ vs. ‘unsupported.’ This has been a point of confusion for many years, and around any product that uses removable components. The policy as stated allows customers to use third party components, but still absolves us of being accountable for those components being compatible with Cisco branded components.

In this case, customers may use third party flash, and we won’t deny wholesale support on the device because it may have, say a sandisk flash card installed, but if the router generates errors reading from or writing to that sandisk flash card, we can’t help with that. Wheras, if it’s a Cisco branded flash card, it would have gone through exhaustive testing, and we’d be on the hook to ensure that the flash works with the Router.

I think we should raise this again with Alberto Montilla (PM for UC500) and see what the latest is on this, in terms of providing a SKU for a flash upgrade to a UC520.

I sent him a private note on this and he reads here as well....

Thanks,

Steve

The size of the UC500 IOS image plus the CME support files plus the phone firmware for all non-discontinued models in 7900, SPA500, and SPA300 series comes out to approximately 120MB. If the phone loads from the 7921G, 7925G, and 7937G are subtracted out, the size of the IOS image files plus the CME support files plus the phone firmware for the other non-discontinued phone models in the 7900, SPA500, and SPA300 series comes out to approximately 95MB.

Here are other examples of files that might increase UC500 flash memory usage, but are not currently included in the UC500 software pack:

• Phone localization files
  • AnyConnect SSL VPN client files
  • Custom MoH files
  • PCM capture files

Hi,

The UC520 works well with cards up to 2GB, but the market is moving so fast towards bigger flashcards that cards smaller than 4GB are becoming scarce.

I've had troubles with a 4GB card. The UC couldn't write it's vlan config anymore.

If you start from scratch and only load the necessary phoneloads 128MB will be enough.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: