VG224 FXO? Is this possible?

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2009

Is it possible to use one port of a VG224 Gateway as an FX0 port to use for Dialout puposes to an intercom system that provides dial tone, or are these ports restricted to FXS use only?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 06/10/2009 - 12:45

It is not possible to do so, and it is not possible to add FXO ports. The VG224 is purely an FXS device.

NPT_2 Wed, 06/10/2009 - 12:49

Thanks that's what I thought, I wasn't sure though since I can set the ports to either Loop Start, Ground Start, or POT's. I have been setting the ports for Loop Start for my fax machines, but I thought perhaps POT's let you use the ports as FXO's.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 06/10/2009 - 12:57

No matter how you set the FXS ports, these will always provide loop current, that is not what the other FXS device expects, and vice-versa.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

NPT_2 Wed, 06/10/2009 - 14:50

What exactly is a TAMB? The paging system provides its own dial tone so I need a FXO interface to connect to the paging systems FXS interface. As far as I know I can't configure the paging system as a FXO. This is only temporary until we can get Informacast installed to replace the old paging system, but I was hoping to just use one of our many available VG224 ports.

Brandon Svec Wed, 06/10/2009 - 14:59

The link I provided will give you more technical detail, but it is basically a "magic box" that will take FXO, or FXS or PBX page output and convert it to standard 600ohm page output. Do you have a model name/number of the paging equipment? I've installed dozens of these over the years and never seen a paging system or PBX that it didn't work with.

NPT_2 Wed, 06/10/2009 - 15:33

I'll have to check those out, we are running a Bogan paging system PCM-2000 PCM-TIM I beleive, I'll have to double check it's manual just to make sure I can't change it's input. Do you have a rough idea what the cost for a TAMB would be?

Brandon Svec Wed, 06/10/2009 - 16:39

That's Bogen, the same company that makes the TAMB. They are about $150 USD. You can call Bogen support to make sure you get everything you need and understand how it works, they are very helpful in my experience.

This Discussion