cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VG224 FXO? Is this possible?

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to use one port of a VG224 Gateway as an FX0 port to use for Dialout puposes to an intercom system that provides dial tone, or are these ports restricted to FXS use only?

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is not possible to do so, and it is not possible to add FXO ports. The VG224 is purely an FXS device.

Thanks that's what I thought, I wasn't sure though since I can set the ports to either Loop Start, Ground Start, or POT's. I have been setting the ports for Loop Start for my fax machines, but I thought perhaps POT's let you use the ports as FXO's.

No matter how you set the FXS ports, these will always provide loop current, that is not what the other FXS device expects, and vice-versa.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck.

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

I don't see why you cant do this via a FXS port. Just assign an extension # to be used for the paging system and attach a TAMB between it and the paging system. Dial the extension, hear tone from paging system, dial your zone and make your page.. Am I missing something?

http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/telephonepagepdfs/TAMBs.pdf

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

What exactly is a TAMB? The paging system provides its own dial tone so I need a FXO interface to connect to the paging systems FXS interface. As far as I know I can't configure the paging system as a FXO. This is only temporary until we can get Informacast installed to replace the old paging system, but I was hoping to just use one of our many available VG224 ports.

The link I provided will give you more technical detail, but it is basically a "magic box" that will take FXO, or FXS or PBX page output and convert it to standard 600ohm page output. Do you have a model name/number of the paging equipment? I've installed dozens of these over the years and never seen a paging system or PBX that it didn't work with.

I'll have to check those out, we are running a Bogan paging system PCM-2000 PCM-TIM I beleive, I'll have to double check it's manual just to make sure I can't change it's input. Do you have a rough idea what the cost for a TAMB would be?

That's Bogen, the same company that makes the TAMB. They are about $150 USD. You can call Bogen support to make sure you get everything you need and understand how it works, they are very helpful in my experience.