cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 and FR inverse ARP

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

Does frame-relay support IPv6 with inverse ARP now. What IOS software support IPV6

5 Replies 5

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello JustKennie,

Frame-Relay supports IPv6 the same way it does IPv4, even with the usual frame-relay mapping, though in IPv6 this has to be mapped to the destination local-link address, instead of the former "foreign ip address", when running distance vector protocol, your split-horizon is equally still waiting for you to turn off.

In a nutshell Ipv6 can run on Frame-Relay and gives more avenue to have more fun with it than on IPv4, only if you understand the IPv6 addressing structure of course.

Hope i am able to in a way?.

Just to add that there is actually an equivalent mechanism defined for IPv6 (since ND is used for IPv6 rather than ARP, the technique is called inverse ND). It is RFC 3122. This is currently not available in IOS though.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3122

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Sir, the Answer is still incomplete. I also want to know If IP6 is supporting Inverse-ARP ?

IPv6 does not support inverse-arp like IPv4. you will have to use static frame-relay map instead.

Francisco

Rupesh,

There is no concept of arp in IPv6, hence there will never be inverse arp. But as I mentioned there is an equivalent mechanism defined by RFC3122, which is not yet available in IOS.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: