cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is there such a technology as time based vlan?

benson.low
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know that this is a funny question to ask. But did anyone come across such technology, Cisco has timed based ACL, but do they have time based vlan membership for switch?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

This can easily be achieved through EEM. USing time based event mode, we can simply specify which vlan(s) to create at which time and which ports to assign to them.

View solution in original post

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

AFAIK this is not supported.

however there are as always workarounds.

What you can do is per port vlan and trap the link up, and through a script set the vlan of that swichport if you want a vlan to be X minutes from linkup.

If you want the Vlans to be at a certain time ie from 08:00 AM to 05:30 PM it should belong to vlan 2 and between 05:31 PM to 07:59 AM the next day you could use the kron and a small tcl script to set the ports at that time.

good luck hth

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

nope

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's time-based ACL so you create an ACL to allow/deny traffic based on time.

And also, depending on your IOS, you can use EnergyWise as well.

dave.burns
Level 1
Level 1

I suppose you could set up the ACS for time-based VLANs...you can specify a "time bound alternate group" for individual authenticated users...which could then pass back the RADIUS assigned VLAN attribute and assign it differently.

that said, you could tie this to 802.1x authentication to make something similar to what you describe, i think...though i have not tried it myself.

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

This can easily be achieved through EEM. USing time based event mode, we can simply specify which vlan(s) to create at which time and which ports to assign to them.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

AFAIK this is not supported.

however there are as always workarounds.

What you can do is per port vlan and trap the link up, and through a script set the vlan of that swichport if you want a vlan to be X minutes from linkup.

If you want the Vlans to be at a certain time ie from 08:00 AM to 05:30 PM it should belong to vlan 2 and between 05:31 PM to 07:59 AM the next day you could use the kron and a small tcl script to set the ports at that time.

good luck hth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco