cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uplink with straight through or Cross over

rock48567
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to uplink and form a etherchannel between the 3750 regular ports and 3548 regular ports. Could you please any one advise which cable I should be using ?

Note:When I was trying to uplnk 2960 to 3750, it worked with straight through.

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Switch to switch traditionally meant you needed a cross over cable. Nowadays the switches can auto sense the cable and compensate so that's why your 2960 to 3750 worked.

However the 3548 is a considerably older switch and i don't think it supports auto mdix. So go with a cross over cable.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Jon notes, newer switches often support auto mdix and should work with either cable type. Don't believe you need an auto mdix device on both sides of a link for it to work. I recall(?) on 3750, though, if "auto" isn't configured for speed/duplex, auto mdix isn't enabled.

Joe is correct 3750 supports mdix and you can use either cable "as long as the speed/duplex on the 3750" is set as auto , obviously you want the other end as auto also .

Thanks for your reply.

Why I asked this question because the uplink from 2960 to 3750 with Cross over cable in the etherchannel group does not work. I dont know why. It only works perfectly with Straight cables. I am going to test 3550/3548 to 3750. Hopefully it should work with cross cables.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Traditionally, you should use Cross-Over cable. But since MDI/MDIX is cheaper by the ton, the 3750 is MDI/MDIX capable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: