Jun 11th, 2009

I am wondering if there are any recomemded network device emulators that

would help with the CCIE. I realize a rack would be way better (I have a

CISCO 2900 Series Switch WS-C2924-XL-EN

not sure if that will help out much ).

Any recomendations?

1) CCIE Routing and Switching 3rd edition

2) Jeff Doyle's TCP/IP routing vol I& II

3)IRA by Sam Halabi(For BGP deft knowledge)

4)MPLS & VPN Architectures(For MPLS topic in CCIE R&S 4.0)

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jgagznos Fri, 06/12/2009 - 13:17

Personally, I recommend that CCIE candidates have a real rack of equipment to work with. The 2900xl switch you have will be of limited use in your prep for the CCIE lab. You will want to get your hands on some L3 switches (3550 or 3560 are best). My recommendation is to purchase a lab practice book from one of the many vendors out there and then either build your lab to match the specifications contained in that book OR just plan to rent time online. Rack rentals are probably the most affordable, but there is something to say for being able to work on your own lab at your schedule.

Now - I have heard of Dynamips / GNS. This is an emulator that can run real IOS images (provided you have access to them). If you have a powerful enough computer, access to images, switches (as Dynamips can't do that) and time to fiddle with it - this might be an option you can look at. Again - I like real equipment if you can afford it.

Difan Zhao Sat, 06/13/2009 - 14:16

You probably need 3550 and 3560 because they support routing protocols and QoS configurations

The simulator GNS3/dynamics is really good one however it only simulates routers but not switches, and it crushes easily (I have dual core CPU and 3GB memory and I can only simulate 4 routers or my system crushes...). I don't know if it's because of my Vista system or poor CPU

If you are good, go take the v3 Lab exam because v4 requires MPLS and no cheap devices support it... I bought some 2610xm routers and they don't support it... I have posted a new thread here asking about what routers I need. You can check that one for the recommended devices as well... Good luck!

This Discussion