cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network design confusion

r.kukreja
Level 1
Level 1

i have 3 2960 switch having lan base image and 2800 series router and all in the default vlan how should i connect in such a way that no looping in the switches should be happen , can u please help me to send different no. of design

4 Replies 4

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand what you want to do as STP will take care of any layer 2 loop by blocking one of the interface. The advantage is it provide a backup path.

If you don't want any physical loop, you need to connect them in a cascaded way:

Switch1----Switch2-----Switch3

HTH

Laurent.

hi

thanks for ur response , actually i always worry about looping , can u tell me what are the cases in which looping happens and how to avoid it

You really do not have to worry about looping in that STP takes care of it. Like mentioned before, you can daisy chain the switches, or have more than one ethernet port on your router, but that really makes no sense unless we knew more about your design specifications.

If you connect your switches to form a triangle, you have a loop. But as I said before Spanning Tree Protocol was developed to take care of the loop by blocking one port belonging to the triangle.

If you loose another port, the blocked ones will become active providing a backup path.

So the question is not to be afraid about loops but is if you want a backup link or not ;-).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009467c.shtml#maintask1

HTH

Laurent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card