Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Network Command is not working for some hosts in 6500 series switch

willmarkn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a static network route in my two 6509 series switch pointing to a next hope IP Address. The route is not working for all host in this network unless I manual add another route with specific host to point to the next hope IP address. Any help/advice will highly be appreciated.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

leekleybm
Level 1
Level 1

Can you be more specific? Does the route show up in your RIB?

Hello leekleybm,

I have two networks. For the two network to communicate, I have configured a static route of the other network in my two 6509 series switches. The route in my 6500 series switch point to a layer three switch which connect to the other network. Now, with that network route, from the network I reside, I can reach only some of the hosts which are in the other network but not all of them.

If you havent understand, let me know and i will explain more.

Regards,

Willmark

Sounds like one of a three issues. If the distant network is a single segment and you are unable to reach all of the end-nodes in that segment, it may point to a filtering issue. Check for ACLs, aysnc routing through a firewall, etc.

You may also want to check the nodes to see if they are pointed to the gateway that is aware of the return path.

If your route points to multiple segments, ensure that the far end for each segment has a route to your network. It may indeed be that your return path is not available for those segments, and additional manipulation of you routing table is required.

Okay, I see. But I dont have any ACL in my 6500 series. what I am just wondering is why when I put a static route for the specific host, it works out fine? Could it be that, my two 6500 series have burgs may be in IOS or something like that?

Hmmm. So, when you place a route to the network it does not work, but when you place a /32 to a host on the network the host responds. I would check the routing table to ensure the static route you are adding for the network isn't being overruled by a route with a more specific prefix length. Also, you will need to start looking at the FIB and the adj table. Follow the packet. If you can, log - to a file or log - a debug to an ACL and ensure that the traffic is exiting the correct interface.

If its static routed it sounds like you missing the return static routes for some of your networks on the other end . I would think about running a dynamic routing protocol if its all static routed , its easier than implementing multiple static routes back and forth between boxes. I doubt its bug related sounds likea config issue. you would have to post both ends if you want to get much farther with this .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: