Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning-tree and monitor session

I need to setup a port for monitoring both my vlans. I think I have the commands right but I was hoping to get feedback before doing so.

monitor session 1 destintation interface fa5/3

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that would be enough. :o)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Are the source ports on the same switch or different switch in this case u need to use RSPAN or else the above command it correct.

Thanks

Mahmood

Alvaro Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I don't think that is all the configuration; it only states the destination port, the source ports are missing. Please send the entire SPAN configuration and specify what exactly you are looking to monitor; so we can check it.

Regards,

Al

''''here is the current session configured

switch#show monitor session 1

Session 1

---------

Type : Local Session

Source VLANs :

Both : 1-2

switch#

''''I thought if I add the destination port it would then pick up all the monitoring to that that port

Hi,

The configuration looks correct. All the traffic coming in and out of VLANs 1 and 2 is going to be mirrored to the destination port.

Since you are monitoring VLANs, the monitored traffic will include the trunk ports on your switch. The packets passing through trunk ports includes a VLAN tag; that VLAN tag is removed when the SPAN session sends the packets to the destination port. You may like to add the "encapsulation replicate" feature to the destination port so you cam see the packets with the VLAN tag in the monitoring device. The command is:

monitor session 1 destination port Gi x/y encapsulation replicate

Regards

okay. I will try that. If that does not work and I want to remove it by running:

no monitor session 1

Will that remove the entire session containing the vlans? The current session was put into place before I started administratoring this switch, so I want to make sure that I can roll back.

Yes, that would be enough. :o)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card