cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2L encription

wonderpug
Level 1
Level 1

i have two routers connected wtih fiber, not over the internet but think of a gian LAN. Is there any way to do a layer 2 encription between these two routers? or may be just a ipsec tunnel?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Thanks for the help!

What if two routers on the same subnet? Will that works for L2L IPsec? I have done L2L on different subnet but just not sure if this will work on two routers on teh same subnet.

Yes it will work.

interesting, thank you!

Do you have any sample configure for same subnet L2L IPsec?

Check the link; instead of a 'cloud', there is a LAN. The router doesn't care about the IP of the destination, just that it can reach it and establish SAs. Follow the example and enter your IP's and it will work. Here's a link that is very helpful in troubleshooting VPNs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a00807e0aca.shtml

Thanks again! I will give a try on two test routers.

Thanks for the help!

What if two routers on the same subnet? Will that works for L2L IPsec? I have done L2L on different subnet but just not sure if this will work on two routers on teh same subnet.

It would come down to routing at that point.

If each of your routers only know to send the traffic for that subnet across the tunnel, then it will work, however, if both have the same connected subnets, then it won't work, as they know of those subnets locally. In that case you would have to NAT the traffic and encrypt it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: