Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP: Track

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Will this work for two core switches running HSRP. Basically I want HSRP running between the switches and also to track interface gig1/1 on the coreA switch.

!- CoreA

interface Vlan2

ip address 2.0.0.2 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 2.153.20.25

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

standby 2 ip 2.0.0.1

standby 2 priority 105

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 authentication C1sc0

standby 2 track gig1/1

inter gig1/1

switchport

switchport access vlan 2

swithport mode access

!- Core B

interface Vlan2

ip address 2.0.0.3 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 2.153.20.25

no ip redirects

no ip proxy-arp

standby 2 ip 2.0.0.1

standby 2 priority

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 authentication C1sc0

!- Router 1 att to Core A (gig0/1)

int g0/1

ip address 2.0.0.100 255.255.255.0

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I see nothing wrong with the config, it should work as intended.

__

Edison.

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

a very small detail, u need to set priority on core B if u intend to use a different value from default...I am sure its a copy and paste typo.

Sam

Sam,

The default decrement is 10 and the primary has priority 105, thus the configuration looks fine.

In case of failure, the primary will have priority 95 and the standby will have priority 100 (default).

Edison,

I know :-)

But the fact that second device has "standby 2 priority " suggests that there is an intended value planned for priority.

IMHO, we cannot tell if the config is fine until we see what value has been planned for second device.

However,if the config is pasted as is, this particular line would be rejected since "standby 2 priority" with no value is not valid syntax and second device would then use 100 default.

Thanks

Sam

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Just to add to the above posts isee that u havent specified the vlaue of the priority to be decremsted in case of the gig1/1 goes down.

Thanks

Mahmood

Mahmood, good point !

Default tracking penalty is 10..so all depends on how much will be assigned to standby.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: