Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

h-reap local switching

if an ssid, intended for remote, is configured for local switching, what vlan on the wlc should the interface be configured with?

we have the same topology for h-reap in the following document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

unfortunately, vlan id's from the central are different from the vlan's id's on the remote.

the document above didn't mention to which interface and/or vlan should the ssid associated for local switching be assigned with.

is it the management vlan?

if this is done, the client obtain ip from the management. which is not correct, since the remote client should acquire ip's from the remote vlan.

shoud the remote vlan exists as well on the central?

5 Replies 5

wackerk24
Level 4
Level 4

Pirateoftheairwaves,

You should configure the vlan you would like to use at the remote site with the SSID you create. For example if vlan 2-5 exist at the remote site and you want ssid "Remote" to do local switching then you would could assign vlan 2-5 to this ssid. Whatever vlan you associate with the ssid your users will get a dhcp address from that network. You can use the management interface like you specified if needed but if this isn't the network you want your users on then create a new dynamic interface on the controller and associate it with the ssid. The remote vlan doesn't need to exist on the central because the remote switch/router is doing the routing. HTH

pirateoftheairwaves,

Take a look at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6087/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml#t12

It's best to follow it from the beginning, but step 12 of the section the waypoint takes you to shows how you do the VLAN mapping.

-Matt

hi matt, thanks for your reply and the link. i've read this document prior to posting but there are some things that are not written there like the problems that i've came across. like for instance, when i tried to put the ap to trunk and assinged the native vlan 2 (which is the native vlan of the switch) the ap deregisters. but when i put the data vlan 100 as the native vlan on the trunk port, the ap registers. and during this time, i can really test for h-reap state authentication down, local switching.

anyways, the customer is experiencing really slow internet speed when connected to an ssid that is centrally switched. will the following config boost the browsing speed:

Note: The switch to which H-REAPs connect needs upstream connectivity to routing infrastructure. H-REAP best practices dictate that remote-site/WAN routing infrastructure prioritize LWAPP control (UDP port 12223).

Here is a sample configuration of a upstream router where the HREAP AP was connected in order to prioritize LWAPP traffic.

ip cef

!

frame-relay switching

!

class-map match-all 1

match access-group 199

!

policy-map mypolicy

class 1

bandwidth 256

!

interface Serial0/0

ip address 10.1.0.2 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

frame-relay intf-type dce

service-policy output mypolicy

!

access-list 199 permit udp any any eq 12223

thanks for your reply. appreciate it!

hi wacker24,

thanks for your reply. u helped me realised the vlan/interface config on the wlc side, thanks!

questions, tho:

1. is it recommended to have a mixed type of h-reap modes on one ap... like, one ssid will be for local switching and a couple for central switching? can this cause slow network speed?

right now, wlan users on the remote use an ssid that is centrally switched and the internet is very very slow.

that is why they required the local switching.

2. there is a native vlan on the remote switch, 2 and data vlan 100. if i trunk the port of the ap and assign vlan 2 as the native, the ap deregisters. from vlan2 i can reach the wlc. but when i put vlan 100 as the native vlan on the trunked port, the ap registers. is this how its suppose to happen?

3. also, in the H-Reap tab of the AP, if a put vlan 2 as the native vlan, client is unable to obtain an ip. but if i put 100, client would get the correct ip. is this how its suppose to do?

4. also, the remote ssid, when i put it on the new interface with the vlan id 100, client is unable to get an ip address. but when i binded the ssid to the management interface, the client obtained the correct remote ip address. is this the right way its supposed to happen?

sorry 'bout too many questions.

and thanks for your reply... really appreciate it!

pirateoftheairwaves,

1) It is fine to have a mix.

2) The AP will get it's address from the native VLAN. Is there a DHCP scope for this VLAN? Does the AP get an address? Is it correct?

3) and 4) On a locally switched WLAN, the IP the client gets depends on the VLAN mapping for the SSID under the H-REAP tab of the AP. The local site will need either a DHCP server, or IP helper on the gateway.

On a centrally switched WLAN, the VLAN the client is on depends on the interface mapping of the WLAN on the WLC, or any AP Groups setting. The dynamic interface will need to be configured with the relevant DHCP server address.

-Matt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: