Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP affects EIGRP?

prakadeesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am in a bit of a confusion here. I am planning to implement dual gateway implementation to avoid single point of failure. Now I have HSRP and STP running on couple of 6509 which help with the l3 traffic for the intra site. Now the inter sites are connected via the 7200(one at each site) which in turn connected to the dual 6509 at each site. Now I am planning to make the 7200 a dual system. The 6509 and 7200 are eigrp neighbours. The inter site traffic from the clients are forwarded to the 7200 from the 6509 via EIGRP p2p link.

Now incase if I implement dual 7200 each connecting to one 6509 and implement VRRP, how will my eigrp connections get affected? Please help me with this. hope I made my query clear,

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prakadeesh

EIGRP will not use VRRP virtual address between 6500 and 7200 devices. EIGRP uses the physical interface addresses unless you hard code a static route pointing to the VRRP address.

Not sure why you are looking to utilise VRRP though. Easiest thing to do is to simply use L3 routed connections between the 6500 and 7200 devices each routed connection having it's own /30 subnet.

Jon

Hello Jon,

I was also thinking of that . I was planning to let EIGRP to do the l3 magic and connect both the 7200 back to back(p2p) with gigs. But thought vrrp was better in high avaialbilty. Please let me know if my logic is ok.

thanks,

Prakadeesh

EIGRP will provide the high availability you require. It's not entirely clear whether you have 2 7200s + 1 6500 in each site or 2 7200s + 2 6500s in each site. Either way if you connect the 7200s to each of the 6500s or just connect both 7200s to the same 6500 in each site i would still go with EIGRP.

VRRP/HSRP/GLBP are protocols for end user devices to have a redundant gateway. But between L3 switches and routers EIGRP is the better choice. Each 6500 will see 2 equal cost paths via both 7200s and if one of the 7200s fails then the traffic will simply be sent over the other link.

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your quick reply Jon.

per site

Current : two 6509 connected to one 7200

planning : two 6509 and two 7200

If i need to connect both the 6509 to each of 7200 then I need atleast 6 Gig interfaces on each 7200( including firewall conn, Wan conn and 7200-7200 back to back). I am doubtful if 7200 is a good chioce for such connection? Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Prakadeesh

Prakadeesh

Ideally you would want the 7200 to be dual connected to your 6500s.

Why do you need a back to back to connection between the 7200s and what is the firewall connection ?

Perhaps a topology diagram would help.

Jon

Sorry for the delay Jon,

Basically the 7200 will be connecting to inter site and to the ISP for internet thru the firewall. Thats the deal about firewall..I will try to put up a topo diag. But I think as u suggested EIRGP should be gud enough.

thanks,

Prakadeesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: