Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9216i Optical Module Upgrade

imaginary
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a task of replacing an existing 32-port FC module with a 48-port one in an MDS 9216i switch.

Is there any special procedure/commands for removing and installing a module in a live switch? I cannot find any in the manuals.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nothing special needs to be done. The 9216i must be running 3.0 or later firmware...not sure if that chassis supported 2.x code. As long as the SAN-OS supports the 48 port line card, it will work.

Now if you have ISLs configured on the 32 port card, you will need to make some configuration changes before the ISLs will work. On the 32 port card, they had to be on ports 1, 4, 8 etc. While on the 48 port card, the ISL ports must be configured for rate mode dedicated, and hardcoded for the speed of the link.

ISLs can be configured on any port, as long as the port is configured for dedicated rate mode and proper speed.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike, we have 3 switches to be upgraded, all of them running 3.0 or higher with no ISLs configured on the 32-port blade.

Only the built-in Gigabit Ethernet ports are configured for ISLs using Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP)

Looks like we are good to go. Thanks again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: