I got active version

and inactive version

what is the meaning of this output??

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Madi,

The Active version is what you are currently running and the Inactive version is the previous or old "build" version.

Hope this helps!

Rob

thank you,

but it is strange, because

Active version: 6.0.1

while the Inactive: 6.1.2

Does it mean that a downgrade done?

can I upgrade without DVD? Is there any way to move to inactive version???

Hi Madi,

Sorry, my explanation here was very poor and only half correct. In your example, it shows that the CUCM has in fact been upgraded to 6.1(2) but the "Switch Versions" has not taken place yet. This is common when going through the upgrade process wherein the last step is to do the version switch. (in your case from 6.0.1 to 6.1.2)This switch can be done via the gui or cli.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you Rob for this information, which is very helpful.

but how I can do version switch? (last step).

Go to OS administration > settings > version and you can switch to new version by reloading CUCM.

Did you mean when I go to:

OS Administration> setting> version I should press on switch version then reload??

and If I have a subscriber but the upgrade was not applied to Subscriber, and I switch the publisher to the new version, In this case Is there any effect?

Hi Madi,

You are right on the money here!

Restart Options

From the Restart menu, you can choose from the following options for restarting or shutting down the

system:

• Switch Versions-Switches the active and inactive disk partitions and restarts the system. You

normally choose this option after the inactive partition has been updated and you want to start

running a newer software version.

Switch Versions and Restart

You can use this option both when you are upgrading to a newer software version or when you need to fall back to an earlier software version. To shut down the system that is running on the active disk partition and then automatically restart the system using the software version on the inactive partition, follow this procedure:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution This procedure causes the system to restart and become temporarily out of service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Procedure

Step 1 From the Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration window, navigate to Settings> Version.

The Version Settings window displays, which shows the software version on both the active and inactive partitions.

Step 2 To switch versions and restart, click Switch Versions. To stop the operation, click Cancel.

If you click Switch Version, the system restarts, and the partition that is currently inactive becomes active.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_0_1/cucos/iptpch5.html#wp1041278

**You should not "Switch Versions" until all the servers have been upgraded to the same release version. Then start with the Publisher and once it finishes move to the Subscribers.**

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: