cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging asa debug to syslog?

slug420
Level 1
Level 1

I have syslog set to log to level 7...but I am doing a "debug sqlnet 255" to resolve an inspection issue and the debug messages only show up when I am logged into the ASA, they dont get sent to the syslog server.

how can i resolve this?

4 Replies 4

abridge-cco
Level 1
Level 1

make sure your server configuration is correct, your asa has the correct server IP address, and that your server itself doesn't have anything blocking the UDP port for syslog.

You need to trap your messages. If you can post your logging config, I can help you out further, but generally you'd want:

logging enable

logging trap 7

logging facility 23

logging host inside

The facility 23 line is a syslog server running on Linux. There are different facilities, but 23 generally works for all that I've found.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

was just pasting my logging config here and I realized the problem. You must use:

logg debug-trace

in order to send debug messages to syslog, otherwise they only show up at console which is what I was experiencing.

Good to know. Rated. :)

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card