Enabling NPIV

Answered Question
Jun 16th, 2009

It looks like you just enable it?

It's automatically enabled then for each VSAN on the switch which makes sense.

Are there any other considerations?

Is it at all disruptive?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by waszkjaso about 7 years 5 months ago

You must globally enable NPIV for all VSANs on the MDS switch to allow the NPIV-enabled applications to use multiple N port identifiers.

Note All of the N port identifiers are allocated in the same VSAN

Enable NPIV mode on the NPV core switch:

switch(config)# npiv enable

switch (config)#

enabling NPIV on the core switch is non-disruptive. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ENABLING NPV MODE on a switch.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
waszkjaso Tue, 06/16/2009 - 08:27

You must globally enable NPIV for all VSANs on the MDS switch to allow the NPIV-enabled applications to use multiple N port identifiers.

Note All of the N port identifiers are allocated in the same VSAN

Enable NPIV mode on the NPV core switch:

switch(config)# npiv enable

switch (config)#

enabling NPIV on the core switch is non-disruptive. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ENABLING NPV MODE on a switch.

Michael Brown Wed, 06/17/2009 - 15:15

Changing the setting on an edge switch to NPV mode, or back to non NPV mode will cause a switch to reboot.

dennis.baldwin Mon, 08/10/2009 - 13:30

I am looking at nested NPIV on my edged switches. From what I understand, there is no reboot when enabling NPIV. Is this correct??

PKapsopoulos Wed, 03/03/2010 - 07:49

Chaps,

I need to enable NPIV on a pair of Cisco MDS 9124 switches.

Is this a simple thing to enable and more importantly is this disruptive? I have been reading the CLI docs and it seems to suggest a write-erase command is initiated at the end of the config??? This doesnt sound pleasant. Any extra info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

lomonaco Fri, 03/05/2010 - 11:10

On the NPV-core switch, enable the NPIV feature. This step is nondisruptive. From configuration mode, run npiv enable.

On the NPV-device (edge switch), enable the NPV feature.

Recall that this step is disruptive and involves a complete wipe of configuration and a reboot of the NPV-switch.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Storage Networking