Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling NPIV

mattkauffmann
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like you just enable it?

It's automatically enabled then for each VSAN on the switch which makes sense.

Are there any other considerations?

Is it at all disruptive?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

waszkjaso
Level 1
Level 1

You must globally enable NPIV for all VSANs on the MDS switch to allow the NPIV-enabled applications to use multiple N port identifiers.

Note All of the N port identifiers are allocated in the same VSAN

Enable NPIV mode on the NPV core switch:

switch(config)# npiv enable

switch (config)#

enabling NPIV on the core switch is non-disruptive. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ENABLING NPV MODE on a switch.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

waszkjaso
Level 1
Level 1

You must globally enable NPIV for all VSANs on the MDS switch to allow the NPIV-enabled applications to use multiple N port identifiers.

Note All of the N port identifiers are allocated in the same VSAN

Enable NPIV mode on the NPV core switch:

switch(config)# npiv enable

switch (config)#

enabling NPIV on the core switch is non-disruptive. DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH ENABLING NPV MODE on a switch.

Thanks. Oh Yeah I saw the NPV mode stuff. I don't need that.

Changing the setting on an edge switch to NPV mode, or back to non NPV mode will cause a switch to reboot.

I am looking at nested NPIV on my edged switches. From what I understand, there is no reboot when enabling NPIV. Is this correct??

Chaps,

I need to enable NPIV on a pair of Cisco MDS 9124 switches.

Is this a simple thing to enable and more importantly is this disruptive? I have been reading the CLI docs and it seems to suggest a write-erase command is initiated at the end of the config??? This doesnt sound pleasant. Any extra info would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Peter

On the NPV-core switch, enable the NPIV feature. This step is nondisruptive. From configuration mode, run npiv enable.

On the NPV-device (edge switch), enable the NPV feature.

Recall that this step is disruptive and involves a complete wipe of configuration and a reboot of the NPV-switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: