Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 line problems...

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I'm having some difficulties with the VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 interface card. After setting things up the line is still down. No messages from console when connection/disconnecting the cable to the PRI either. Any help on this is appreciated.

Some outputs from the config:

UC520#sh controllers E1
E1 0/2/0 is down.
  Applique type is Channelized E1 - balanced
  Transmitter is sending remote alarm.
  Receiver has loss of frame.
  alarm-trigger is not set
  Version info Firmware: 20080918, FPGA: 13, spm_count = 0
  Framing is CRC4, Line Code is HDB3, Clock Source is Line.
  Data in current interval (272 seconds elapsed):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 272 Unavail Secs

UC520#sh diag
        VIC Slot 2:
        VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 - 1-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1
        Hardware Revision        : 0.0
        Top Assy. Part Number    : 800-22628-05
        Board Revision           : C0
        Deviation Number         : 0
        Fab Version              : 04
        PCB Serial Number        : FOC13103XTM
        RMA Test History         : 00
        RMA Number               : 0-0-0-0
        RMA History              : 00
        Product (FRU) Number     : VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1
        Version Identifier       : V01
        EEPROM format version 4
        EEPROM contents (hex):
          0x00: 04 FF 40 03 FD 41 00 00 C0 46 03 20 00 58 64 05
          0x10: 42 43 30 88 00 00 00 00 02 04 C1 8B 46 4F 43 31
          0x20: 33 31 30 33 58 54 4D 03 00 81 00 00 00 00 04 00
          0x30: CB 90 56 57 49 43 32 2D 31 4D 46 54 2D 54 31 2F
          0x40: 45 31 89 56 30 31 20 D9 02 40 C1 FF FF FF FF FF
          0x50: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
          0x60: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
          0x70: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

UC520#sh run | sec ial0/2
interface Serial0/2/0:15
no ip address
encapsulation hdlc
isdn switch-type primary-qsig
isdn incoming-voice voice
isdn sending-complete
no cdp enable

UC520#sh run | sec controller
controller E1 0/2/0
pri-group timeslots 1-12,16

voice-port 0/2/0:15
cptone NO
bearer-cap Speech

Also,. the AL lamp on the interface card is yellow...

I'm not sure, but seems like a DOA!?!

Thanks,

Eivind

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The configuration looks OK. Before considering an RMA, I would talk to the PSTN provider and confirm the switch settings. Typically, for E1 PRI, primary-net5 is the switch used.

Thanks,

Marcos

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Do you have your "network-clock" commands in place? Also, are you sure the cable you have is OK. Some sample pinouts can be found here:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-2173

Finally, I saw you are using Q.SIG, so I am assuming you are connecting to a PBX? If that is the case, either the PBX or the UC500 will have to be configured as "network side".

Thanks,

Marcos

Marcos,

We did another installation yesterday with the same setup and cables as on this one. No change. The network-clock is setup, The cable has been tested, and the UC500 is connecting towards PSTN via "2M/bit" connection (PRI). The qsig setup worked on the other installation as well, is this the wrong type of signaling?

I've sent you the "sh tech" on your mail ;)

Regards

Eivind

The configuration looks OK. Before considering an RMA, I would talk to the PSTN provider and confirm the switch settings. Typically, for E1 PRI, primary-net5 is the switch used.

Thanks,

Marcos

Okay, thanks

I'll try changing the setting first thing tomorrow.

Regards

Eivind

Marcos,

You're right about the switch settings. This didn't help thoug, it's my first, but i think it's safe to conclude that this one is DOA.

Thanks for your effort anyways,

Regards

Eivind

Got a new card today, this didn´t help anything, as I´m waiting for my SMARTnet deal to get registered I would appreciate any inputs or suggetions for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Eivind

Hi Eivind,

Got a new card today, this didn´t help anything, as I´m waiting for my
SMARTnet deal to get registered I would appreciate any inputs or
suggetions for troubleshooting.

Can you let us know what ISO version you are running please?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

ISO??? I guess you mean IOS ;)

I´ve used software pack 7.0.3, I´ve deployed the exact same software pack with another customer this week, no problem. A 32 user model, this is a 24 user. That´s the only difference. One thing, if I plug/unplug the network cable, there is no output on the console in CLI, seems like the card is not sensing the connection, exept for the CD lamp that lights up.

Thanks

Eivind

HI There,

One thing, if I plug/unplug the network cable, there is no output on
the console in CLI, seems like the card is not sensing the connection,
exept for the CD lamp that lights up.

I know this is going to sound a little off, but can you get another card and place it in that slot and see if it works (Maybe an FXO card)?

I can see the system is detecting it, so i am not entirley sure what the above request will achieve just yet, but if a second card plugged in there does not work either, then the problem resides in the systems physical properties (Assuming that is).

You should contact Cisco TAC and ask them to go over the system with you, that way RMA'ing it is easier.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Sounds like the T1 line is down and it is not a problem with the equipment...  Did you talk to the ISP?  They are always pointing the figure back to you but I would double check with them.... you are getting a "sending a remote alarm"  which it causes are below:

When the CSU cannot synchronize with the framing pattern on the T1 line, the Transmit Sending Remote Alarm (red alarm) message is declared. This could be caused by a misconfiguration on either end of the circuit or a problem with the Telephone Company (Telco).

You sure you have the correct cable as well?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Cisco+transmitter+is+sending+remote+alarm&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS_en-US

John,

Customer has an exiting PBX where the PRI works fine. So there´s no problem with the PRI itself. The cable is not supposed to be crossed for this E1 connection. If we connect a crossed cable, the alarms on the PRI starts to lit up.

I´ve had one more installation this week. with identical setup, didn´t use any crossed cable there either.

Regards

Eivind

John,

After alot of debugging for the past days, I´ve received a new UC and VWIC card from cisco, but nothing seemed to be helping. So I contacted the telco once again today and there was actually a setup issue on the NTU/PRI. I´ve checked earlier with the telco about CRC on or off, and got the respons that the CRC was ON. Called them again today and to confirm the setup on the PRI and was told that the CRC actually was set to OFF, go figure. So in a couple of minutes the CRC were set to ON by the telco and the UC was up and running.

Thanks for inputs and feedback from everyone.

Thanks,

Eivind

Troubleshooting tip:

I did a "show isdn status" and saw that the LAYER1 was DEACTIVATED, this was the result of the CRC turned to OFF. One good option to check if there is a HW problem on the UC or VWIC card is to create a HW LOOP, use a RJ45 and connect pin 1 -4 and 2-5, plug this into the VWIC card. Then do a "show isdn status" again and you´ll then get LAYER1 ACTIVE if there´s no problem with the HW. Next step is to check the cable between the UC and PRI, or as in my case, the CRC on/off setting ;)

Message was edited by: Eivind Jonassen

David,

This is the seconfd VWIC card I´ve tested...

The results are the same, I guess I just have to wait for the SMARTnet deals to come through.

Thanks,

Eivind

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: