cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch upgrade

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

I have been tasked with upgrading the switches in the data center.I'm a custom to doing the upgrades locally,where i'm connected directly into the device.So what i wanted to know is what are the steps of doing it remotely

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your switch can ping the TFTP server then you may be able to copy the file into your switch.

If there is enough flash space available, you can copy the file from the TFTP to the switch (copy tftp:/// flash:).

Once copy has been completed, you can run the optional verify /md5 flash:.

You also need to change the boot variable to point to the new IOS (boot system flash:).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Can you telnet into the appliance?

2. Do you have a TFTP server? Can the switch ping the TFTP server?

3. Do you have the correct firmware (tar or bin file)?

4. Is the TFTP pointing to the correct file/directory?

5. Do you have a Change Control?

If you have CiscoWorks, you can schedule CiscoWorks to upgrade the firmware.

Hope this help.

1. Can you telnet into the appliance? I can from my desk

2. Do you have a TFTP server? I'm going to make my laptop the TFTP server

3. Can the switch ping the TFTP server?This is the part i need to understand

4. Do you have the correct firmware (tar or bin file)? Yes i have to correct bin

5. Is the TFTP pointing to the correct file/directory? the software is pointing to the bin on my laptop

6. Do you have a Change Control? yes i did a change control today because i have to do it on Saturday

Make sure your internal firewall on your laptop is turned off before you start this otherwise it won't download . Telnet to the switch then try to ping the address on your laptop , if it pings you should be set to go . One image is on switch or router set your boot statement to point to the image.

Thanks alot Glen

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your switch can ping the TFTP server then you may be able to copy the file into your switch.

If there is enough flash space available, you can copy the file from the TFTP to the switch (copy tftp:/// flash:).

Once copy has been completed, you can run the optional verify /md5 flash:.

You also need to change the boot variable to point to the new IOS (boot system flash:).

Hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card