Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site VPN Pix

Is it possible to setup a site to site vpn with a pix501 when one site has has a dynamically assigned external IP?

The pix is running verion 6.3, is there any other way around this that doesnt involve changing the config everytime the IP address changes

Any help would be greatly appreciated

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yes it is possible, if you use DDNS and the remote site connects to the VPN via domain name.

HTH>

Thanks for your reply Andrew,

I had tried to do this using ddns but when I set the preshared key for the remote peer the pix will only allow me to use an IP address

Also when I set the remote peer for the crypto map it requires an IP address

Can you tell me where i'm going wrong?

OK firstly we need to establish the network topology:-

1) Which end is the PIX on, DHCP or static IP

2) What other equipment are you using at the remote end for this?

Jon is correct - in the crypto maps and isakmp config can have a 0.0.0.0 address.

I didnt realise you could use a 0.0.0.0 address, I will do that

Thanks for your help

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Daniel

You can use a dynamic crypto map where you do not need to specify the remote peer IP address. See this link for an example -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094a87.shtml

Be aware that when you use a dynamic crypto map ie. you don't check the remote peer IP, then any peer can try to initiate an IPSEC connection to your Pix. So your key is the only real security you have so make sure it is a good one.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: