cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP groups and redundancy

danhosking
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for APs to failover between controllers when AP groups are in use? I have seen separate documentation on AP groups and AP failover but nothing that says how to implement both at the same time.

I have tried to work it out but when I created the group on the back up controller I am not able to add the AP to the group as it is not asociated to it.

Has anyone else come across this or have any ideas?

We are currently using 4400 controllers running 5.2.

5 Replies 5

naks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have tried to work it out but when I created the group on the back up controller I am not able to add the AP to the group as it is not asociated to it.

>>Did you create the same ap group on both the controllers? What happens when the aps failover to the back up controller?

Regards,

Nagendra

John.Gerlach
Level 1
Level 1

Are your controllers in the same mobility group? (Controller|General|Default Mobility Name)

You can also check under Controller|Mobility Management|Mobility Groups to see if other controllers are set up to exchange Mobility Management info.

If you are in the same Mobility Management group then when failover to another member/controller in that group occurs and the AP Group name is the same on both controllers the APs should automatically join that AP Group name on the controller they failed over to.

Our implementation (still in the early stages) includes 8 WiSMs Controllers that are in the same Mobility Management group and will fail across campuses if we lose a WiSM module or chassis.

We will be using smaller controllers (4402's) at remote sites with their own Mobility Name. That is to prevent constantly exchanging client info with other controllers over wan links. If/when those failover to the main campus they will wind up being in the AP Group default-group on the WiSM environment.

Thanks for the help. I will give it another try and let you know how it goes.

chanqifeng
Level 1
Level 1

i did come across but however i believe the vlan tag cause the failover problem . I wrote this on the link .U can come take a look at this.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Wireless%20IP%20Voice%20and%20Video&topicID=.ee6e8bc&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd35fef

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card