cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stp vs Pvst+

webstd.design
Level 1
Level 1

On cisco switches pvst+ is by default running.Means as soon as you create any vlan single spanning tree instance starts running fot tht particular vlan.

But if i disable pvst+........then switch runs a Common spanning tree instance for all vlans?

what is the difference between pvst and pvst+?

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Alexandr,

PVST was a previous version of PVST+ that had problems in dealing with 802.1Q trunks.

PVST+ is supported since catos 4.x

In modern IOS switches the following STP modes are available:

PVST+

Rapid PVST

MST

the last two uses instances that are rapid as per 802.1W standard.

Rapid PVST is simply using a rapid STP instance for each Vlan.

MST 802.1s uses instances for sets of vlans achieving greater scalability at a price of increased management activity.

note:

actually a prestandard MSTP version exist on some IOS versions/platforms.

the global command is

spanning-tree mode xx

You cannot revert to simple CST 802.1D on cisco switches.

But you can have fall back on a per port basis.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

PVST was a previous version of PVST+ that had problems in dealing with 802.1Q trunks.

Do you know what problems ?

I have got in trouble with stp ,

but i can't sure it's cause by pvst or not .

Hello Liuquiqinq,

PVST+ has a mechanism that allows to support 802.1Q trunks: it uses a proprietary format for STP BPDU that is not processed by 802.1D standard switches and allows them to reach another cisco switch.

for more details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_white_paper09186a00801b49a4.shtml

The older PVST was able to work well only on ISL trunk links.

It is unlike you are using the older PVST because PVST+ is supported since catos 4.x however some problems can happen in a multivendor environment.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card