Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 3000

bel_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Good day one and all;

i'm trying to get some information about a particular model of switch. our company is in the processof implementing a fiber network, how ever the networking equipment that will be used must meet the IEEE1613 standard, from what i've been seeing so far the only model that does it the IE-3000 series. however i have a problem, the models that are avaiable only support 2 10/100/1000 uplink ports. there is an avaialble fiber module which offers 8 additional FX ports but those are 100MB only. i currently have 3 loactions that will require more than 2 uplink ports which mean i either need to cut down the speed of half of my network, or buy 2 s witches for those locations. if i go with the 2 switch option, my next question is can the CAB-SFP-50CM= cable work with these switches? or will i need to uplink the 2 switches via eterhnet. does anyone know if cisco has any plans to upgrade in the near future to provide 4 Uplink ports on these switches?

1 Reply 1

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Barry.

I will try to respond even though I'm not that much of an expert in IE3000 series.

As far as I can determine you are right about the possibilities for IE3000, i.e. you only have two 10/100/1000 port per switch. This leaves you to buy two switches if you need to have more uplinks.

To the best of my knowledge the CAB-SFP-50CM= only works with the Cat3560 series.

Also, interconnecting two switches via RJ45 will consume one of the two 10/100/1000 ports, as they are dual-purpose ports, i.e. you can either use the RJ45 or the SFP.

So it seems that you will either have to live with only 100 Mbps fibre for one location - or perhaps if you have enough fibre you could create an etherchannel.

I have no idea about future plans for IE3000, but it would seem that a 4 port 10/100/1000 could be handy.

HTH.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card