CCIE R/S, CISSP, or CCIE Security

Unanswered Question
Jun 17th, 2009

Outside CCIE Voice, for the above three options which one will be feasible and valuable regarding time/cost/market value?

I will pick up one target for my next 1.5yr budget of money/skills/time.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Collin Clark Thu, 06/18/2009 - 05:49

There a lot of dependencies but I would generally nudge you towards CCIE R&S.

jamesfang98 Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:06

Is it still well demand for R/S track? I saw more than 17000 active CCIE R/S out there.

CISSP may waste my money (not really a tough cert) but may take less time to achieve. Cost $1000 or less.

CCIE R/S will take longer time (1yr intensive exercise or so), and at least $6,000 for training plus $3000 for facility and plus $2500 for exam/travel. Over $10,000 for cost, more than 10 times of CISSP.

Still questioning.....

Collin Clark Thu, 06/18/2009 - 10:32

CCIE's are still in demand and they are well recognized as experts in the networking field. CISSP's are not experts (no offense to anyone), the cert requires general knowledge in security CBK. What are you looking to achieve? Do you want to be an expert in the networking field or do you want to be a security engineer reviewing logs and writing policies?

srue Thu, 06/18/2009 - 10:43

CISSP also requires a sponsor who must vouch for your security expertise in one of the domains covered on the exam.

I wouldn't say it requires 'general knowledge', so much as it requires vendor neutral knowledge.

jgagznos Thu, 06/18/2009 - 10:51

Since you are already a CCIE voice and have a CCNP, you look pretty solid on both of those core competencies. I think the biggest bang for your buck would be to pick up a CISSP provided you meet the requirements and can find a sponsor. From the credentials next to your name, I don't see anything security related. I doubt a CCIE R&S would do anything for your particular situation.

truongdinh Fri, 06/19/2009 - 05:10

This is my take on this:

My wife has an MBA, certified in CISSP, CCIE Security and PMP. She is now working as Director of Security for a company managing about 100 people with several CCIEs on staffs.

I think since you already have CCIE voice, it makes no sense to get another CCIE, unless you want to remain a techie the rest of your life. CISSP is much more beneficial for your career down the road

jamesfang98 Sat, 06/20/2009 - 07:37

Thank you all for kind ideas, esp. for truongdinh.

I did have lots of hands-on experience with security - like: Cisco PIX/ASA/VPN, checkpoint, etc on all different requirements such like IDS/IPS, remote vpn, s2s vpn, stateful ACL. I was Sr. Sys engineer with Solaris/FreeBSD/Win for more than 8 yrs.

I think I will purse CISSP as my next goal. Hope to reap it in half year. Yes, I do have friends around who are already CISSP.

CCIE R/S, Security track will be next goal if my company will re-imburse them and if my family support is still feasible. One thing for sure, to purse CCIE cost hughly - time, effort and money.

Anyone have same thought as me?

This Discussion