Views
Helpful
Replies

Using internal DHCP in WLC 4112

jong_r0602
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I want to make my wireless place into different network. So i define the 3 internal dhcp scope inside WLC. My WLC LWAPP set to layer 2. My problem is, the clients are not able to get the IP address into WLC dhcp scope. Please help me what to do

thanks,

Jong

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi jong,

it's right and is always best practise also to use layer 3 Lwapp instead of l2 Lwapp.

regards,

Rocco

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rocco.scholz
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

for each WLAN you have configured you will also need a dynamic interface and there you must set controllers management ip as primary dhcp address.Also don't forget to enable the dhcp scope.

regards,

rocco

Hi rocco,

Yes, client are now able to get ip form WLC. My other problem is the routing of vlan inside WLC. My management ip is 192.168.199.0 while the dhcp scope i've created for client is 192.168.2.0. Im not able to ping the management IP. I tried to set the management Ip as my network default route but it not accepting it. Its only accept the ip ot service-port. Why should i do now?

Thanks so much,

jong

hi jong,

as far as I know the WLC isn't a router but I think you have a router somethere in your network(layer3 switch for example) where you need a virtual interface for each VLAN and the ip of this interface is your default-router for the corresponding clients.All ports of the WLC are Trunkports but you can also use one as an access port for an specified vlan. I would recommend to configure the controller as follows,

ap-manager and management interface same vlan but different ip addresses, dynamic interfaces for each WLAN with different vlan ID's, map all interfaces to a physical port of the WLC, make sure the switch where the WLC is connected is configured as trunk with the needed VLAN's, make sure you have each VLAN also configured in your network infrastructure,

hope this will help you.

regards,

Rocco

our PCI audit consultant told me to make the wlan on the separate network that why i make a dhcp scope on the controller. what is the most secure, running on layer 2 or 3 lwapp?

hi jong,

it's right and is always best practise also to use layer 3 Lwapp instead of l2 Lwapp.

regards,

Rocco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card