CUCM 7.0 CallManager and TFTP service keeps stopping!

Unanswered Question
Jun 18th, 2009

Hello All,

I was messing around with CUCM 7, when I mistakenly tried to change the domain on the server. It previously had no domain. I ssh to the CLI and entered "utils network domain". I then got a warning stating that changing the domain would have no effect on the server since DNS was not enabled on the server. I opted to proceed, the server rebooted and came back. However, the call manager service and tftp service doesnt start, and when manually started, the tftp service stays up for 5 minutes and stops, and the call manager service stops shortly thereafter. Did changing the domain on the server have an effect on these services, even though the warning stated that changing the domain wouldnt have any effect as DNS is disabled? Any suggestions offered is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I already checked licensing as suggested in another thread and everything looks good there.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 3 (4 ratings)
Justin Brenton Thu, 06/18/2009 - 06:28

This is definitely your issue.

Change back to the defaults. I had the same issue after upgrading to CUCM 7.0.2 and thought it was related to the upgrade......



Kenneth Mohammed Thu, 06/18/2009 - 06:35

Hello Justin,

Thanks for your prompt response. Would you happen to know the command to do this? Basically i just want to reverse the command "utils network domain"


htluo Thu, 06/18/2009 - 07:16

Could you go to CUCM Admin > System > Licensing > License Unit Report? See if you have anything under "SW Version"?


htluo Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:11

1. Go to "Cisco Unified Serviceability" > Trace > Configuration. Set "Cisco CallManager" trace level to "Detailed".

2. Try to start "Cisco CallManager" service.

3. If it stopped after a couple seconds, use RTMT download "Cisco CallManager" traces.


dennisbehrens Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:21


You mentioned that you checked licensing. Please go to the "License File Upload" and verify that you can view the license file. I'm assuming you already checked the "License Unit Report".


Kenneth Mohammed Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:52


The issue has been resolved. Apparently once you put a domain name on the server, this cannot be reversed, and now DNS must be used. Once I enabled DNS on the server and added an entry in my DNS server, rebooted CUCM, phones started registering and everything is good. I wonder why you cannot disable DNS once it has been enabled. Anyhow, everything is working, and many thanks to those who contributed.


This Discussion