Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS : traffic shaping and buffer size

tandlauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The traffic shaping consist in delaying packets when the traffic rate exceeds the traffic contract (shaping rate during each Tc)

How can I know the size of the shaper buffer ? I mean how much packets can be delayed ? There should be a limit ! I guess I can know how many packets are in buffer (column queue depth in the output of "show policy-map interface") but I don't find information on the queue depth. Is it configurable ?

Thank you

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Camp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to adjust the queue limit per class, you can modify that in the class configuration by typing "queue-limit n" where n is the number of packets. The default queue-limit is usually 64 or 128 packets depending on the IOS version.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Gregory Camp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to adjust the queue limit per class, you can modify that in the class configuration by typing "queue-limit n" where n is the number of packets. The default queue-limit is usually 64 or 128 packets depending on the IOS version.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I just saw another command a few minutes ago, I didn't notice it before : "shape max-buffers N"

What is the difference in this case with "queue-limit N" ?

Thank you

Thomas

Same functionality, just depends on the IOS you are running. Newer IOS deprecated shape max-buffers so you only use queue-limit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card