Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Licencing

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

Is there only 3 kinds of Licencing regarding WAAS, ( Transport, Enterprise, CM ), or there are any other kinds of licences ?

I'm aware that it exists video licencing, and other's, but this is a different kind of licences ?

And regarding Bandwith and Number Limit of connections, it is real ?

Any document will clarifing this doubt will be very appreciatted.

Best Regards

Petrónio

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In WAAS 4.0.x, you are correct, Transport(basic optimization only, no CIFS), Enterprise (Basic+CIFS) and CM.

In WAAS 4.1.x and forward, the licencing is as follows: Transport, Enterprise, Video and Virtual-Blade.

Check out the following URL for more information: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/other.html#wpxref86729

The Transport license has not changed, very basic optimization, no advanced features.

The Enterprise license gives you most of the advanced AO feature sets (CIFS, NFS, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.) as well as the CM Device Mode.

The Video license is if you want to utilize WMT Live Stream Splitting, Microsoft requires a separate licensing agreement.

The Virtual-Blade license allow you to turn on that feature in the newer WAVE/WAE-x74 chassies.

BW and Connection # vary per hardware chassie, BW is mostly a rule of thumb and Connection # is a hard limit for optimized connections.

Hope that helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

Once the Max optimized TCP connection is reached, future connections will be put into PT until the optimized connections go back down past the threshold. There should not be any dropped connections. The number of optimized connections is loosely based on the amount of memory, so that will be the determining factor in how many connections your WAE-512 can handle. Also keep in mind, a CIFS connection is also an optimized connection, so those columns are not exclusive.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Bruno,

It should be the number of Edges the Core WAFS service can handle.

Dan

7 Replies 7

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In WAAS 4.0.x, you are correct, Transport(basic optimization only, no CIFS), Enterprise (Basic+CIFS) and CM.

In WAAS 4.1.x and forward, the licencing is as follows: Transport, Enterprise, Video and Virtual-Blade.

Check out the following URL for more information: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v411/configuration/guide/other.html#wpxref86729

The Transport license has not changed, very basic optimization, no advanced features.

The Enterprise license gives you most of the advanced AO feature sets (CIFS, NFS, HTTP, HTTPS, etc.) as well as the CM Device Mode.

The Video license is if you want to utilize WMT Live Stream Splitting, Microsoft requires a separate licensing agreement.

The Virtual-Blade license allow you to turn on that feature in the newer WAVE/WAE-x74 chassies.

BW and Connection # vary per hardware chassie, BW is mostly a rule of thumb and Connection # is a hard limit for optimized connections.

Hope that helps,

Dan

5 STARS !

I was caught by WAAS version. Many thanks.

I've read in another document that there are limitations of Optimitazion because the WAE Hardware Version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/WAASDC11.html

Search for "Table 1 WAE Hardware Sizing"

What will happen if it reaches for instances the maximum simultaneus ? It bypass the connection ? with out optimization, or we have any drop issues ?

The WAE that im concerned is WAE-512.

Once the Max optimized TCP connection is reached, future connections will be put into PT until the optimized connections go back down past the threshold. There should not be any dropped connections. The number of optimized connections is loosely based on the amount of memory, so that will be the determining factor in how many connections your WAE-512 can handle. Also keep in mind, a CIFS connection is also an optimized connection, so those columns are not exclusive.

Hope that helps,

Dan

PT - PassThrough ?

As far as i could found in documentation, WAE-512-2 (wich is the one im interested right now), is limited to 10 Peers [Max Core Fan-Out] .

Just clarify me, what will happen if i insert another peer in service, making eleven peers.

Is it better add another WAE-512-2 to Load Balance/Sharing the traffic between WAE's, or purchasing a Upper model ?

Im concerned in Load Balance/Sharing issues, because i never saw any example.

Best Regards,

Bruno Petrónio

Bruno,

PT=PassThrough. Sorry about that...

That peering is for the device acting as a Core for the WAFS service serving the WAFS edges. Also, from what I can see in internal docs, the 512-2 core peer fanout is 70, not 10.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with that.

Dan

Man... i Thougth that i was understood before, but now the concept is making me doubts.

What its the meaning of "Core Fan-Out" ?

It's the number of remote WAE's, wich a Central WAE can support ? or is another thing ?

Best Regards,

Bruno Petrónio

Bruno,

It should be the number of Edges the Core WAFS service can handle.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: