cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N no wireless access

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought this router today. It doesn't work with wireless. Wired works fine. Everything connects to it fine and gets a good ip etc via wireless, but can't do anything online and can't access the router either. I've tried my Wii and macbook pro and they can't go online. Trying to go to www sites just says contacting and that's it.

The router is WRVS4400N V2

I also don't know where to look to get up to date firmware etc.

Thank you for helping.

Joe

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Joe,

You can´t access the router through wireless, this is for security reasons. Have you checked your dns settings on the router?? Try to ping a global ip address that you know about from the "terminal" on your mac to see if your connected to the web.

Regards

Eivind

View solution in original post

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>I just bought this router today. It doesn't work with wireless. Wired works fine.

If you want to configure the router via wireless, first you need to use a wired ethernet connection to access the web admin interface of the router. Then you can enable "wireless admin access", which is located under the Adminstration tab. This is a security feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Eivind Jonassen
Level 4
Level 4

Joe,

You can´t access the router through wireless, this is for security reasons. Have you checked your dns settings on the router?? Try to ping a global ip address that you know about from the "terminal" on your mac to see if your connected to the web.

Regards

Eivind

Thanks for the info. I took it back and exchanged it for the same thing. It worked the first time and then not since. Direct cable connection seems weird too or something. So i plugged the cables in etc with everything off. turn on modem then router after modem synched. Then once router was up i turned on my macbook prio led 15". it saw wireless and got a valid ip and then i opened firefox and it loaded the default home page. so i shut off my mac to play wii with my niece and nephew. i was on the couch in living room and wireless connected on my mac but would not go anywhere online. just says contacting web site. network prefs give valid ip and valid dns numbers etc. router gives valid ip info and valid dns info as well. so i connect directly and clicked the restore to factory default to see if that might help this one.

firmware is 1.00.9 or whatever.

Last login: Thu Jun 18 15:20:31 on console
joes-macbook-pro:~ Joe$ ping www.apple.com
PING www.apple.com.akadns.net (17.149.160.10): 56 data bytes

That's all it does with wireless. Wired seems bad too with speed. cus i had the linksys wrv610n or whatever and it worked fine.

so i wonder if this is just another bad router or something.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>I just bought this router today. It doesn't work with wireless. Wired works fine.

If you want to configure the router via wireless, first you need to use a wired ethernet connection to access the web admin interface of the router. Then you can enable "wireless admin access", which is located under the Adminstration tab. This is a security feature.

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I figured out the problem with wireless clients not beinbg able to go online. Untangle was the problem. www.untangle.com . It's router security software to turn a pc into a router. It wipes the pc clean and makes it into a router. It has also re-router techn ology that makes it so you can install on a windows xp pc and use it without reconfiguring the network at all. For some reason it was blocking the wireless.

What I did was uninstall it and then everything works fine. I was not uninstalling it to see if it would help, but probably for some other reason or I just wanted to uninstall it. Fortunately everything works now that it's gone.

Only thing is signal isn't as good as I would like. I thought it would make my Wii get a better signal or my PS3 but the PS3 only gets 67% and it's on the same side of the home and under the router downstairs. The ps3 got the same 67% with my previous dlink dgl-4300. Or am I not understanding this right?

>it's on the same side of the home and under the router downstairs.

If the wireless client is right under or above the router, the client will likely get weaker signal compared to other positions due to the wireless router's antenna pattern. Try to adjust the antenna orientation of the router to see if you can get better signal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: