cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running Bet; Cisco Works Cannot TFTP A Config To A Device

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I am being told that CiscoWorks will take the output of show run and create a text file so you can have a reference to rebuild a config on a switch that has it's config corrupted or if you have to put a config on a replacement switch. It cannot automatically back up configs from our enterprise devices then give us an option to ftp/tftp that backedup config to a switch. I bet to the contrary now have to back it up with an example. Can CiscoWorks do this and how do I do it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME will take the latest version of a device's config, and create an entry in the shadow directory. This configs in this directory are designed for human consumption, and can be used for disaster recovery. The shadow directory can be found under NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma on Solaris.

RME can also push a config back to a device. You can use the RME Config Editor application to do this. For disaster recovery, use the Merge method of deployment (as opposed to Overwrite).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

RME will take the latest version of a device's config, and create an entry in the shadow directory. This configs in this directory are designed for human consumption, and can be used for disaster recovery. The shadow directory can be found under NMSROOT\files\rme\dcma on Windows and /var/adm/CSCOpx/files/rme/dcma on Solaris.

RME can also push a config back to a device. You can use the RME Config Editor application to do this. For disaster recovery, use the Merge method of deployment (as opposed to Overwrite).

J

My colleauge isn't accepting defeat gracefully. Can you give us some detailed instructions? We've the full suite, RME included, installed and running.

Thanks!

Matt

The procedure Joe was referring to is covered in the "User Guide for Resource Manager Essentials", Chapter 11, under "Deploying a Configuration File". Here is a link to an online version of the User Guide: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.2/user/guide/RME_42_UG.html

That section begins:

"Deploying a Configuration File

You can use this feature to deploy a configuration file to a device.

To deploy a configuration file:

Step 1Select RME > Config Mgmt > Config Editor > Private Configs to open a configuration file stored in private work area.

The List of Private Configs window appears.

Or

Select RME > Config Mgmt > Config Editor > Public Configs to open a configuration file stored in public work area.

The Public Configs window appears.

You can also perform any of the editor operations by opening a configuration file for editing by Device and Version, Pattern Search, Baseline and External Location. For more details see, Overview: Opening a Configuration File..."

Yes, this is the Config Editor procedure to which I referred. The manual procedure is to copy the file from the shadow directory to the LMS tftpboot directory (e.g. NMSROOT\tftpboot on Windows). The connect to the device, and do:

copy tftp://x.x.x.x/config.txt start

This will copy the config into the NVRAM. Then reload the device without saving running to startup.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: