cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N bandwidth use info and TrendMicro question, firmware, ips

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

You know how when you log in you can click on the wan port and it shows send and receive bytes? How can I get it to say GB, MB, k, kb etc instead of just numbers? Also how can I get it to show monthly total? Do the numbers go to 0 if the router is rebooted?

Where do you go to get the 30 day free trial to the trendmicro security stuff? I don't understand anything when I click on I want to buy the service or whatever. It comes with free 30 day trial.

Where do you get up to date firmware? Do they not support this router anymore? How do you get IPS to auto update and if not why don't they do that? It should be automatic like in any other appliance etc.

How can I configure QoS to give my gaming highest priority and bandwidth when I play my xbox 360 online with xbox live and ps3 online too? In my old Dlink DGL-4300 it had this gamefuel thing that was supposed to do that automatically I guess. I don't know, but gaming was always good so maybe it was working good.

Since I do audio and video streaming from a pc to my ps3 and xbox 360 how can I give that higher priority so it plays good all the time?

Thanks alot.

Joe

12 Replies 12

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

can someone help please?

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

please help.

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Joe,

There is not a way to get this router to show GB, MB, or KB.  If you want to know those approximate numbers:  For KB drop the last 3 digits, for MB drop the last 6 digits, for GB drop the last 9 digits.  These numbers are reset when the router is rebooted.  If you want a monthly total, you would have to reboot the router every month.

Firmware updates are available on Cisco.com for this device.  (Make sure you get the correct firmware for the version you have.)

There is not an automated update for IPS, but updates are available on Cisco.com.

You can configure QoS by specifying priority of different ports.  So for gaming, you would have to know what ports those games are using.  This device is a business product, so it does not have gaming options built in like some consumer models.  You can also configure QoS for the physical port a computer or device is connected to, on the back of the router.

Thank you,

Darren

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>Where do you go to get the 30 day free trial to the trendmicro security stuff?

You could get 30-day trial from the Resellers.

This link will help you find a reseller near you.

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do?

Thanks!

You may be able to find 30-trials on the TrendMicro.com website.

Thanks guys.

TrendMicro site does not have any info whatso ever about this.

I got a trial key and tried it. After 5 minutes I don't like it so I returned the router. I was going to return the router anyway because it always lost wireless. The trendmicro is pathetic. No built in AV, IPS, etc. Content filter was terrible. It should block way more stuff it's not even funny. So it's worthless in my opinion.

jmoilanen
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.

I searched for resellers and it doesn't have any.

There is no firmware on the cisco site. The last ips is from sept 2008 which is insanely insecure.

im surprised no one mentioned snmp about getting bandwidth info.

all this lack of info and lack of updates make me think this router is old and not worked on anymore and not supported at all anymore. is this right and did i get the wrong router? i hope someone wil answer asap as i am in a desperate situation to get something going for my network asap.

The IPS signature file is posted along with the router firmware. It's true that the IPS signature is not updated as frequent as one might like, but the current manual update model is free of charge - the auto-update model usually requires a paid subscription. Please do not confuse IPS with Trend Micro ProtectLink service, which is a paid service for URL filtering and email scanning for SPAM and viruses. Hope it helps.

thanks but no it doesnt help. i already know what you said. and no., there is no firmware on that page. since there is nothing up to date, no auto update, no support, no phone number, nothing that says it is still cared for by linksys/cisco i am taking it back and not going to ever by anything cisco again. nor linksys. this is a joke and extremely insulting.

so now i wonder what other router i can buy thats worth something.

Please contact the Small Business Support Center http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html or email me directly at streaves at cisco dot com to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

--Stephanie

As far as the firmware updates for that router:  There are a few versions of the WRVS4400N.

v1 and v1.1 have firmware updates available on the website.

v2 does not have a firmware update available since it is the newest version, and no updates have been issued.

Darren

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: