cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spa3102 firmware upgrade fails.

ciebie-95
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I purchased a Spa3102 (EU) few years ago. Model Spa3102 / ser.no. FM600F212436 / date of manuf. ---. Upgraded the unit a couple of times before, know how to do it. I'm now on softw.vers. 5.1.5(GWa), hardw. vers. 1.1.5. I tried to upgrade to 5.1.7, 5.1.10 resp. Always get "no response from spa" almost immediately after starting upgrade. Tried everything. Via web interface, directly to ethernet conn. & nothing else connected, XP on 'safe mode with network' (no firewall etc.) and so on. IVR works fine, can get the IP addresses, did all resets several times. I can access the 'setup-menu' of the unit in all modes and from the different interface-situations and make configuration changes. Normal operation is fine (except from time delivery to handsets; read somewhere that new firmware might help, that's why I want to upgrade). I looked at several places in the internet (including Cisco), but I covered all the obvious situations already. So I'm running out of options. (Slowly get the idea, that the device just cannot upgrade anymore). Any suggestion are very welcome. Thanks. With kind regards, Kees.

6 Replies 6

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kees,

Sounds to me like a networking problem. Perhaps XP is blocking the file transfer....

XP in safe mode may not be running all the required drivers.... I'm not sure about this though.

Try the following. Configure your computer as a TFTP server. [locate a free TFTP server on the Internet]

Cause your SAP3102 to reboot with the following:

http://IPADDRESSofSPA/upgrade?tftp://TFTP_Server_ADDRESS/Name_of_SPAFILE.bin

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reaction. As I also think, it's a networking problem, I'll try some more and different setups, although I did several before. The one you mention, might be a bit out of my technical capabilities, but I'll look into it and maybe I'll get it working. If not I'll ask you some clarification if I may. Might take some time, before I'll be back.

Greetings, Kees.

Hi Kees,

You're welcome and yes you may ask for clarification if you get stuck setting up/configuring a TFTP server.

I'm happy to help in any way possible.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Hi Patrick,    

Thank you for the solution your post above (tftp), works for my SPA3102

Dyorge

ciebie-95
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

Your remarks put me in the right direction. I didn't do exactly as you suggested, but I did try to update the SPA via a complete different pc, that I have in a different location. And it worked right away. Now I'm still quite confused, because this pc has the same OS (XP pro sp3) and the same protection software (CIS latest version) and, in general has the same setup as my notebook, that I used at first. What surprises me the most, is that even with XP in safe mode with networking, I could not get the upgrade working, although I could do all the 'normal' setup actions on the router. All this means I guess, as you also suggested, that the upgrade utility uses some 'non-standard' communication protocol, which is not available in safe mode and, in normal XP mode, is blocked on my notebook and not on the second machine (some port maybe). Would be nice to know what it is exactly. But at least I'm glad, that it worked.

Thanks for your attention and help.

Regards, Kees.

Hi Kees,

Thank you for letting me know that you were able to successfully upgrade the SPA3102.

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: