Helpful
Replies

L2 switches and hubs

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I have a question.

According to my book, switches support rate adaptation,which means that device that use different ethernet speeds can communicate through the switch while hubs do not support rate adaptation.

=======================================

Do we have hubs for different speed? for example in order to connect two pc which support 10 Mbps speed, i must find the hub with 10 mbps ports?

we can not connect pc( 10 mbps) to hub which support only 100 mbps speed. Can we?

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Dual speed hubs are available.

HTH

Laurent.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Dual speed hubs are available.

HTH

Laurent.

Thanks Laurent and have a nice weekend!

BTW, my understanding of dual speed 10/100 hubs, they actually provide an internal 2 port bridge between the 10 and 100 segments.

For routine traffic, normally you wouldn't care. However, if you wanted to use such a hub to perform traffic analysis, it's possible the bridge might not forward unicast traffic if it knows receiving MAC isn't on other bandwidth segment.

If there's a bridge, it might also be possible to extend hubs beyond normal Ethernet repeater restrictions (i.e. the 5-4-3 rules for 10 Mbps, and 2 Class II hubs for 100 Mbps) if you forced traffic across different bandwidth segments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card