Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF question

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have network which contains 150 routers and I am planning to design the OSPF. pl. let me know deisgn consideration

1) How area needs to create?(my plan is all area will be in Area 0 any other solutions)

2) One area How many routers can have(cicso standareds)?

3)Any other solutions are welcome.

Regards

sat

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sateesh,

it is possible to have all 150 routers in a single area.

However, multi-area design gives you possibilities that are not possible in single area:

better stability a flapping link is confined within a single area (SPF is recalculated only on routers of that area)

route summarization at area border

inter-area filtering you may need in the future to confine some routes within a single area.

For this reasons I would use a multi-area design.

How to design the areas depends on the network topology and the usage purposes of the different parts.

Have a look at this OSPF design guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I bet one frozen pizza that you have 150 routers laid out as 1 hub and 149 spokes.

If so, it is not matter of ospf and how many areas, as there are many alternatives you can take.

So your best decision would be hire an experience professional for the design. You would avoid the inevitable mistakes that happens when one does things for the first time.

Hi,

I appreciate your quick response. Here is the my plan of action..

1) Mentioned 150 scatred in diffrent locations, so I will put all my WAN links of all the locations in AREA0 and each location will act one area.

ex: A,B,C,D locations

A,B,C,D WAN link will in AREA0

A - AREA1,B-ARE2,C-AREA3,D-AREA4(Local LAN in each location).

Is this is fine? or any suggestions.

Regards

sat

So, it is hub and spoke, or not ?

Hi,

Yes, its hub and spoke only..any suggestions..

Regards

sat

Sat,

So there is no meshing of links?

I think you need to ask yourself what you are trying to achieve with implementing OSPF?

If it were my network. I would have all the spokes as statics. The hub router would be an ASBR and advertise the spokes to remainder of the core network.

HTH

Tony

As the other contributor says.

Don't bother with aereas and if possible (no backup links) don't bother with OSPF at all.

Address for pizza deliver on request.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco