Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

There seem to be references to a version of Unity Connection Viewmail for Notes at various links such as:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/roadmap/7xcucdg.html#wp56656

I cannot find any more details or any downloads on CCO.

Anyone know if this is available yet and where I can find the software and docs?

17 Replies 17

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Just found some info to answer my own question.

With the release of Unity Connection version 7.1, a ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes is now available.

This is a plug-in module, very similar to the pre-existing ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook.

Compatibility:

• Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 and Higher

• Microsoft Windows Vista with Notes versions 8.0 and 7.x.

• Microsoft Windows XP with Notes versions 8.0, 7.x, and 6.x.

• Requires Microsoft .Net Framework version 2.0.50727

This plug-in will be distributed by DVD-only, and as such the ordering for Unity Connection 7.x has

been modified to ensure that those customers who are interested in have access to the ViewMail

for IBM Lotus Notes will received the media:

Ordering:

• Top-Level SKU remains the same: UNITYCN7-K9

• Choose the user bundle with the “D” appended to the end of the SKU, e.g. UNITYCN7-

25USR-D

• Note: the price for users and user-bundles is the same as non-Domino SKUs

Anyone know of any reson to install old style Unity now :-)

Hi James,

We are a Notes shop here (I know :)and have been testing the "Viewmail for Notes" on certain work stations for a few months now. We have not encountered any serious issues and our Pilot users really love it! One thing to note is that the latest Domino/Notes version is @ 8.5 (which is where our users are at) and the current "Viewmail for Notes" is only tested with versions up to and including 8.0

We are just waiting for the next release to continue our deployment :)

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob, it is good to know that it is not just vaporware!

Do you also run SameTime with the Cisco UC plugins? The same customer has a requirement for click to dial etc. from Notes so we are looking at the SameTime stuff and could do with some advice from the field.

Hey James,

You are most welcome my friend! We have done no testing with SameTime, sorry :(

Cheers!

Rob

rob, drop me an email, got a question for you.

Hey TCAT,

Sorry buddy I can't find your email address :)

rhuffman@mtroyal.ca

Cheers!

Huff

Rob,

Now that I know you are running Lotus with  Unity Connection I may become somewhat of pain.  Just kidding.  We have a  customer that is a Lotus Notes shop and they are planning to use  multiple CUC clusters.  I have a couple of questions for you.

1.  While I understand Cisco hasn't tested the ViewMail for 8.5, have you tested it?  Have you had problems?

2. My understanding is that Lotus Notes doesn't support IMAP-Idle which means that the max concurrent connections is reduced by about 75%.  First, is it true that Notes doesn't support IMAP-Idle?  How have you managed dealing with the capacity constraint?

A follow up to #2, if a customer had SameTime deployed could they use that for CUC integration?  I ask because I thought I read somewhere that SameTime does support IMAP-Idle.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Rob

When you setup Viewmail for Notes, from the Unity Connection side it is similar to setup Viewmail for Exchange?  What about delivery of voicemail to Lotus Notes inbox?  Is that using IMAP?  Getting confused between IMAP, Redirect voicemail.

Thanks

The installation of ViewMail for Notes is unique to the application.  There are client side considerations to be made.  Once it is installed, the controls and features are essentially the same to my knowledge.  For your other questions, I'll be brief:

IMAP - this is NOT delivery of mail messages to your inbox.  This is a separate email folder that is set up within Notes.  All voicemail is delivered to this folder...not the "inbox".

Message Relay - you can accomodate sending messages directly to your "inbox".  Depending on the message actions you set for a user, you essentially have a few options.  The two you care about are Relay Only and Store and Forward.

Relay Only is the message comes into CUC and is relayed right back out to the SMTP proxy address you define for that user.  There is no copy of the message left on CUC, period.  Store and Forward is similar except that the message comes into CUC and is stored in the mail database and then relayed to the SMTP proxy address you defined.  So, the user can get the message from CUC or from email BUT there is no synchronization between the two mail locations (i.e., one system does not know about the other when it comes to status of the message - so MWI is not synced up).  With Relay Only, there is no MWI as the message is relayed directly off-box via the SMTP Smart Host.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Rob

With Unity Connection 8.x  Viewmail for Notes  , are the voice messages located in the user inbox where he gets all its mail messages or in a different location such as in IMAP ?

Is there any presantation I can show a customer for the user experiance with the viewmail for notes?

With Domino, you'll be limited to IMAP.

Hailey

Hi,

I am struggling to get ViewMail for Notes v7.1(3).  I have a Customer with Connection 7.1(3) and running Notes 8.5 on Vista.  I cannot get a version of ViewMail for Notes from anywhere.

We originally built Connection 7.0(1) using software from a new CUWL order and the ViewMail app wasn't included.  We have since recently upgraded the Customer to Connection 7.1(3) ordering the upgrade via the PUT and still no ViewMail DVD was included.  I have just received a UC8 NFR Kit and this includes a Unity Connection Software Disc-set for Domino and ViewMail 8.0(1) is included but the compatibility tables suggest this won't work with Connection 7.1(3).

The Software download pages don't include ViewMail for Notes except the v8 versions so I am really stuck to now.  Does anyone know where I can get ViewMail 7.1(3) ?

Many thanks,

Matt

Matt,

If you read the entire thread you'll see that this is laid out earlier.  What you want is not downloadable, it can only be ordered via DVD for 7.1  Details are:

With the release of Unity Connection version 7.1, a ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes is now available.

This is a plug-in module, very similar to the pre-existing ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook.

Compatibility:

Cisco Unity Connection 7.1 and Higher

Microsoft Windows Vista with Notes versions 8.0 and 7.x.

Microsoft Windows XP with Notes versions 8.0, 7.x, and 6.x.

Requires Microsoft .Net Framework version 2.0.50727

This plug-in will be distributed by DVD-only, and as such the ordering for Unity Connection 7.x has

been modified to ensure that those customers who are interested in it have access to the ViewMail

for IBM Lotus Notes:

Ordering:

Top-Level SKU remains the same: UNITYCN7-K9

Choose the user bundle with the D (Domino) appended to the end of the SKU, e.g. UNITYCN7-25USR-D

Note: the price for users and user-bundles is the same as non-Domino SKUs

The 8.0 version of this application WILL NOT work with previous versions.  The application plug-ins and/or executables are version-specific.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Hailey,

thanks for the answer.  The problem I have is that my Customer is a CUWL customer and is not going to spend any money on top of their CUWL spending to purchase what is a very small application.  They originally ordered Unity 5 for Domino via CUWL and upgraded to Unity Connection via their UCSS agreement.  Neither sets of software have provided the Viewmail for Notes application.  The solution you have recommended has a significant cost associated with it and I really cannot turn round to them now and tell them they have to spend more money.

When I posted my entry earlier I was hoping someone might have the software on an FTP/HTTP site that I could download from.  I think Cisco are being extremely awkward by not simply allowing access to the application from their Software Download site.  I see that Viewmail for Outlook 7 & 8 plus Viewmail for Notes 8 can be downloaded from CCO but why not Viewmail for Notes 7 ?

Oh well, I'll serch on as I'm sure it can be found somewhere

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: