cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750G stack ports down

daniel_qian
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3750s and have connected the stack cable as sw1/port1 -> sw2/port2 and sw1/port2 -> sw2/port1. I started up the two switches and they were able to detect the presence of a stack. But strangely when I type 'show switch' both switch is showing itself as master. stack ports are also showing down. From what I read in the documentation the master and slave neighbor should be able to form automatically but it is not happening on my switches. Anyone can shed a light on my issues? Thanks

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have you assign a priority to the stack master? The priority is from 1 to 15 with 1 being default and 15 being the highest

Reza

I assigned 15 to the master and leave the other one at default 1.

show switch detail on master:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0024.f9f7.4680

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0024.f9f7.4680 15 0 Ready

2 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 0 Provisioned

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Down Down None None

show switch detail on the other:

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0025.466f.7f00

H/W Current

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1 Master 0025.466f.7f00 1 0 Ready

Stack Port Status Neighbors

Switch# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2

--------------------------------------------------------

1 Down Down None None

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you do "sh switch detail", you got Master/Master instead of Master/Member? Does the 2nd switch have any config when you stacked them? Did the 2nd switch reboot when you connect the cables? Is the 2nd switch running the same IOS version and feature as the 1st?

These are two new switches we just purchased and OS on these two switches are the same. When the second switch was booting there was a prompt for some initial setup for the stack which I don't remember exactly what that was. All I know is I tried to put it as a member but apparently it did not work. Both switches have been restarted a couple times.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

In your posting of the "sh switch detail", you will observe that Switch 2 is "Provisioned". Switch 2 has NOT joined the stack.

You may want to console into Switch 2 and observe the bootup process.

As the switches are in a remote location and I do not have console access. Is there a way to tell it simply to join the stack?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: