Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting WLC

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a basic question.

The WLC can be connected to a interface of a router (layer 3 interface)? For Example:

The Managment IP Address of the WLC is : 10.0.0.2, and the configuration of the interface of router is:

Interface giga 0/1

ip address 10.0.0.3 255.255.255.0

descripction ***WLC***

exit

This works ?

I have always connected the WLC port into a trunk port, for example:

Interface Giga 0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

description ***WLC***

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC interfaces are 802.1Q Trunk so the switch-side should be a 802.1Q Trunk.

I know ...

But the WLC connected to leyer 3 interface .. work??

(WLC)----->---GigaEther0/1. IP Address 10.0.0.3--->(Router)

Cisco recommends the both sides to be 802.1Q Trunking. If the switchport is a routed sub-interface link, how do you think will this work?

Make sure the WLC is connected to a switch port and not a router/routed port.

mat.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

This configuration will not work. The WLC is not capable of performing routing and as such cannot be connected to a routed interface. Each port is a dot1q and must be connected to a switchport.

It works - in a limited way.

There is no need for the WLC to be a router to be able to talk to a routed port. After all, a routed *Ethernet* port is just another broadcast domain, with some L3 on top of it. Connecting a WLC (by a single, untagged link) will work when the WLC uses the routed port as its default gateway, and of course one cannot haul any additional VLAN over to the WLC, so there is no way to bring more than one broadcast domain (the one that also bears the management and ap-manager interfaces) into the air^W^Wspace. So it's mostly useless for any long-term deployment, but may well suffice as an ad-hoc survey or lab setup.

HTH,

Andre.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: