cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hostnames in DFM

tagee
Level 1
Level 1

I have four devices that are loaded into DCR and DFM and they are known devices. But they show up in the DFM as IP address and not as HOSTNAMEs. I have check them in DNS and they are correct. I have tried to have CW do a rediscovery but nothing changes. I was wondering when does CiscoWorks check device against DNS? Do I need to do a Stop and Start of Ciscoworks for it to re check DNS and update the hostname in DFM. I also have a question how often should you do the DOS stop and Start of Ciscoworks. Should this be scheduled either weekly or monthly to make sure every thing is in sync up.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you're sure that DNS is properly configured, and directly maps IP to hostname then hostname back to IP address, then remove the affected devices from DFM, and re-add them. They should be managed as hostnames. If they still show up as IP addresses, add entries to the server's local hosts file, then remove and re-add the devices.

Joe,

When I go into DFM the devices are already known and CW will not let me delete them the only way to do that is to delete them from DCR and that does not make sense. I do not want to lose all information tied to those IP address and devices. I thought re-discovery would work or shut down CW and restart is the only thing that makes sense but I was trying to use that a last choice.

In order to be able to delete devices from DFM, you need to disable DCR auto-sync. Once you do this, the Delete button will become active.

Joe,

are there any negative effects from turning off and then back on Auto-Sync in DFM.

Teddy Agee

No.

That's the ticket. Thanks Joe!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: